New dual rec - OMG!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredster

Reaction score
After finding out the Roadster I ordered might be here in June, I decided to give the DR another shot (I don't wait very well). Holy crap! I beat on it at GC for an hour through a few different cabs and the 2x12 recto cab sounded best to me so that's what followed me home :). How did I miss this before? I can't believe the sounds coming out of this puppy - clean to crush it's all in there. The only cons I've found so far are the pop switching between channels 2 and 3 when it first comes on and the goofy diamond face plate. Wow this thing rocks!!!!

fredster said:
After finding out the Roadster I ordered might be here in June, I decided to give the DR another shot (I don't wait very well). Holy crap! I beat on it at GC for an hour through a few different cabs and the 2x12 recto cab sounded best to me so that's what followed me home :). How did I miss this before? I can't believe the sounds coming out of this puppy - clean to crush it's all in there. The only cons I've found so far are the pop switching between channels 2 and 3 when it first comes on and the goofy diamond face plate. Wow this thing rocks!!!!

Agreed :(

If I could find a cheap way to redo this with tolex or something I'd do it in a heartbeat... makes the amp look so tacky.

Platypus said:

If I could find a cheap way to redo this with tolex or something I'd do it in a heartbeat... makes the amp look so tacky.

I'd like to make it look like the Road King head, but apparently you can't even order it that way. Wrong size or something. I found a place to get the same grill cloth as the speakers and I know the plate can come off, but what I don't know is if the actual grill part is attached to the diamond plate or if it can be seperated. Then I could make my own cloth plate. Hell, even just painting the thing flat black would be a cheap improvement. Too busy loving the sounds right now though!

fredster said:
Platypus said:

I'd like to make it look like the Road King head, but apparently you can't even order it that way. Wrong size or something. I found a place to get the same grill cloth as the speakers and I know the plate can come off, but what I don't know is if the actual grill part is attached to the diamond plate or if it can be seperated. Then I could make my own cloth plate. Hell, even just painting the thing flat black would be a cheap improvement. Too busy loving the sounds right now though!

Exact look I was going for. Black tolex covering would look sharp as hell on it.

I hated that pop and dumped my 3 Channel. It was not too bad channel switching at higher volumes and was always the worst the first time through. The RK only pops the first time and then is silent when switching.

heres a thought for those that hate the diamond faceplate...
isn't the stiletto the same size as the dual rec? if it is, the wooden baffle the faceplate is attached to very well may be...stripping the crock skin off was an easy affair, and it looks great with some black grille cloth. maybe you could order just a baffle, or just the faceplate from a stiletto? say yours is busted? not sure what mesa's take on this is, just thought id throw it out there.

Some guy i saw had just covered his plate with black gaff tape, i thought it looked better than the chrome.

If you note the custom options menu, you'll see there are options for a front panel change!

Boogiebabies said:
I hated that pop and dumped my 3 Channel. It was not too bad channel switching at higher volumes and was always the worst the first time through. The RK only pops the first time and then is silent when switching.

Really? Mine only pops the first few switches...

musicbox said:
heres a thought for those that hate the diamond faceplate...
isn't the stiletto the same size as the dual rec? if it is, the wooden baffle the faceplate is attached to very well may be...stripping the crock skin off was an easy affair, and it looks great with some black grille cloth. maybe you could order just a baffle, or just the faceplate from a stiletto? say yours is busted? not sure what mesa's take on this is, just thought id throw it out there.

You may be on to something there - they are the same size, but it looks like the Stilletto is a little different in the way the face is built. Could be an option though!

jbird said:
If you note the custom options menu, you'll see there are options for a front panel change!

You are correct - you can order a replacement head that is black, but it won't come with the silver grill in front like the RK.

Flavell777 - hehe, I'll keep that in mind!

just thinking, yo could take the diamond plate out, somehow press fit or possibly glue a piece of ply into place and cover it that way. Kind of crazy, but it's an idea.

dual rec said:
just thinking, yo could take the diamond plate out, somehow press fit or possibly glue a piece of ply into place and cover it that way. Kind of crazy, but it's an idea.

Not so crazy! I might be able to make something to simply put over the plate without taking it off. Plywood might be too thick, maybe some heavy cardboard. Cut it to the shape of the plate with a cutout for the grill part, cover it with speaker cloth and fit it right on there. That also has the advantage of being a reversable change so if I ever sell it, it could be stock again. Hmm...

fredster said:
Boogiebabies said:

Really? Mine only pops the first few switches...

me either. only pops the first couple of hits before.
now when I fire my dual recto, I usually go to ch2 first, then turning the bypass on, then going to ch1, then ch2 or ch3. no pops.

Latest posts

Back