New Dream Theater Album/ tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcguitar

Reaction score
Anyone listen to the new DT album? digging the music, and the guitar tones alot. it is very focused around the guitar (seems the band has been pushing more guitar up front as of late, and since the other main guy left the drums are sitting back a little)

anyway I think its mostly mark v, sounds great though.... except I'm tired of the singing.. its been the same song, long drawn out pink floyd-ish trippy thing for too many albums (again vocal wise.) im all about the prog technical guitar / drums... just think the vocals could go back to Metropolis part II or earlier, oh well.

Yep, all Mark V on the finished CD. There is an article in the new issue of Guitar World regarding the album. He also mentions he used an Axe-Fx for all of the demo/scratch tracks. Apparently, Fractal came over and even modeled his Mark V so he could lay down tracks without effort on the demo.

The way it's recorded is refreshing... my friend showed it to me and I was all "hm... what's with the "drawn back" sound?" and he told me it was recorded "the European way"... it's less in your face than I'm used to. But it sounds sophisticated for lack of a better word. Good tones, classic Mark stuff 8)

The tone on the solo for "Lost Not Forgotten" is amazing. The solo is out of this world too.

Having been a fan (but not a fanboi) over the years since I&Ws release, I think this album is a breath of fresh air for the band and Petrucci. They seem to have gotten some new vibes with Mangini on the kit which has been the spark I think they've needed for a long time now. Alot of the tones remind me of the I&W album which are my favorite. Best thing they've done in so long!

When I first listened to the CD, it took me a bit to get adjusted to the way it was recorded. It definitely seems different than BCSL, especially in that with Mike's departure the drums are not as pronounced as before which is actually refreshing. I really like the mix overall and I'd have to say my favorite song so far is "Breaking All Illusions" (had to pick the 12 minute song :lol: ) - the guitar work is absolutely beautiful and the solo towards the end is very moving. Can't wait to see DT in concert again!

I love the album and think it's great. It is definitely different than the last couple but still very good. I love the writing and the differences make it very unique. I'm impressed as usual. I do like that it's not as dark as the last album and I love the tones.

shredhead72 said:
The tone on the solo for "Lost Not Forgotten" is amazing. The solo is out of this world too.

+10 ...definitely a stand-out on the album. Labrie's vocals are spot on as well. This album is definitely in my top 3 most rotated albums right now. Seems like it will be for a long time.

John Mentioned in a new interview - Premier Guitar - that the rhythm is channel 3 Mark IV, and the leads are all channel 3 MK IIC+.

HamerFan said:
John Mentioned in a new interview - Premier Guitar - that the rhythm is channel 3 Mark IV, and the leads are all channel 3 MK IIC+.

Cool! That´s pretty much how I figured it was.

I like the tones, however I feel the mix is a bit too dark sounding. There´s no high end "sheen" to it. I have a very good and expensive sound system, so I know that´s not the preblem. It´s also pretty narrow sounding, no real room between the instruments.

I do like the music though. Best they´ve done in years.

Bullen said:
HamerFan said:

I like the tones, however I feel the mix is a bit too dark sounding. There´s no high end "sheen" to it. I have a very good and expensive sound system, so I know that´s not the preblem. It´s also pretty narrow sounding, no real room between the instruments.

Uhm....I think this album is actually a perfect mix. Much like the I&Ws album. Dark? Not sure where you got that from. (?) There's maybe some variation in the guitar and bass tones, but that's about it. Overall mix is pretty killer....very warm and fluent. Some of the best production they've had in a LONG time.

Bullen said:
HamerFan said:

I do like the music though. Best they´ve done in years.

Uhm....I think this album is actually a perfect mix. Much like the I&Ws album. Dark? Not sure where you got that from. (?) There's maybe some variation in the guitar and bass tones, but that's about it. Overall mix is pretty killer....very warm and fluent. Some of the best production they've had in a LONG time.

Back