New Cab for the Rectifier?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Love my dual rectifier, but I'm about done with the woofy and "overly deep" bass repsonse of the cab....I'm looking for something tighter, punchier, and more articulate. I used to love the tones, but my tastes are changing, and I'm looking for something crunchier and tighter rather than HUGE and loose.

So, what would you guys recommend?

Ofcourse, I am considering the traditional Mesa, but am also looking at some other options...

I stumbled upon the Basson 4x12 cabs...look very intriguing...every review I have read has guys raving of their tightness, clarity, punch, etc.....most of the reivewers are running Rectifiers too...

I'd also like to try the Eminence Legends :D

The only thing that bothers me is that it is also oversized...I asked the guys at Basson, and here is what he said:

There are a few reasons the Basson's react the way they do. The Eminence Legends we chose have a wider frequency range than most Celestion speakers on the market. Spec sheet is attached. This is why we chose them. Plus Mr. Basson is a guitarist and has never liked the sound of Celestion. The cabs are made entirely out of MDF (medium density fiber) which is a man made, void free material. Great for speaker enclosures. Plus the chamber is lined with thick foam inside and then the whole cab is sealed air tight. Thus the air spring from the speakers kicks you right in the gut. All those things create a very punchy, articulate, sexy cab. Try it and you'll love it! I have heard the Mesa side by side with ours and they are a bit muddied sounding compared to our 4x12. You really need to hear it for yourself.

So....any help for me? I'm really having a hard time deciding here :?

I say..................buy the eminence legends,stick them into your cab,see if yah like it if not sell it and try to brake even if ya know what I mean,dont do yourself out of cash,try some other options like a genz benz gflex 2x12" they aree supposed to be really great cabs,The choice is up to you That is what I would do but it may be a round about way to do it,I use a new dual rec 3 channel with a mesa 1x12"thiele ported cab and it sounds sonically sweet,I also have a recto 2x12" and this is an awsome cab,bass response is absolutly amazing

try some other options and get back to us on your choice or preferences

Euan

How about the smaller Stiletto cabs from Mesa?

Supposedly the smaller size produces a sound similar to what you're after.

Did you say tighter, punchier and more articulate??

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=10438

The EVM-12L is ALL of those things, even in the same cabinet. I don't know how their sound will blend with a Rectifier-style Mesa though.

I'm gonna treck over to my GC and hopefully try some marshall and rivera cabs with the Recto....

Any other opinions?

Platypus said:
Bogner... best cab I've used with a recto.
Hey Platy, I have heard that Bogner cabs are amazing as well but never played on one. What about it did you like more that the Recto Cabs? Did you play a 2x12 or 4x12? I have heard that something that really sets apart the Bogner cabs from others is the polyfill that is used inside the cabinets. I have heard that this takes away some of the boomy factor, smooths things out a bit, and adds depth. I am not sure if it is a huge difference or not. I picked up some polyfill from a craft store this evening and plan on lining it in my 2x12 Recto Cab this weekend.

Back