New Boogie Guy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webby

Reaction score
Hi all

Well as soon as the word is out they'll be kicking out of the Marshall forum. On Friday I take my Marshall down to the music store and trade her in on a new Roadster. I'm excited, my band played a gig Saturday nite and the Marshall couldn't give me all I needed. I play in a Classic Rock cover band and need all the sounds and versatility I can get from an amp and I think the Roadster will do it for me.
I'm also looking at getting a couple of Avatar cabs. The company I'm dealing with up here in Canada has the closed back versions of the cabs I'm after but I'm use to the sound of an open back as my Marshall is a comb. What is your guys take on open back verses closed back cabs?

Bob

f*** marshall, welcome to the family.
I personally prefer closed back cabs, as i love a deep, destructive sound (i use a Triple Rectifer through a Traynor YCS412)

if you're canadian, you can find the Traynor YCS412 quite easily (anybody associated with Long & McQuade can get them, as the guy who owns L&M owns Traynor...) and they are pimp cabs, with lifetime warranties. Very sturdy, metal grill, removable casters. recessed handles and 4x12" Celestian V30's

rock on man

i like to take the best of both worlds 8)

with my MKIII and Stiletto i use a combination of a 1x12 Thiele closed back EVM loaded and a 1x12 compact open back, also EVM loaded. punch, articulation and loud and clear :D

imo you should try a closed back with your combo, although it seems that you're a country/blues kinda guy you already have a open back sound with your TSL.

I use two Avatar 1x12s, one open, one closed :) not the cheapest way to go but you have lots of options with that.

That said, the only reason I didn't go with Traynors is that their 1x12s only came in closed back and are real big.

rabies said:
I don't believe in a 4 channel amp, it's stupid. use the volume knob on your guitar.

I've had more problems with Mesa amps than Marshall 800/900/2000.

f%&# mesa...

but he's not bitter :)

(just joshing you man, if I had the hassles you did on one amp I'd be PO'd too)

The thing that has blown me away about the Roadsters I have test-driven (a buddy of mine is planning on buying one so we've played a couple) is that all the modes/channels sound pretty distinct.

Personally, I have found the Roadsters I have tried to be pretty "tweaky." You have to fiddle with them. Other people disagree.

My advice is: volume, and for Vintage and Modern modes keep the gain and bass lower than you'd think and the master higher.

Welcome Webby,
Kinda new here myself (returning after a hiatus).

Having used both, I like open cabinets (combos now, usually) so the drummer can hear what's going out.
I only used sealed 4 X 12 cabs for outdoors where the projection was needed only a couple of times.

Now I play outdoors (un-mic'd) with an open combo ('course the venues are smaller and the "throw" shorter nowadays).

Indoors, gimmee open cabs all the way always. The backblast bounces all over for ambience and more onstage ability to hear and blend.
jes my $0.02

Thanks for all your thoughts. I ended up going with a boogie cab, the 2x12 3/4 cab, I'm liking the sound. might get ano.ther

MesaRig2.jpg

Latest posts

Back