New Boogie and Mark V user...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtrplayer

Reaction score
Ok, so I had my first night with the Mark V.... I did NO reading prior... just a little "playing" with it at the house before I loaded up and headed out. And of course we all know what you hear at the house and what you hear at the gig are two EXTREMELY different things.

Again, I have NOT read the manual and just sort of winged it... hence I am going to read the manual today cover to cover.

First off is "WoW!" I will say this... there is NO problem "hearing" the guitar in the mix... it cuts through like a ginsu knife that's for sure!

The sound is very tight, solid and controlled. Noise is minimal and channel switching is awesome and smooth with no clicks, delay or pops etc..

The amp over-all seems very "middy"... had an over-all throaty type sound. I tweaked a little while playing, but that's kinda tough... I tried to dial the "mid" knob pretty much OFF but with little to no avail...still remained middy especially in channel two. Channel three rocked and was a bit LESS middy, but it still never really "ripped your head off" Mesa rock style....

Again, I gotta read and tweak again but that's what I heard.

I channel three I would like for it to be more saturated and sort of John Pettruci sounding...

I'm off to read!

A lot of the saturation comes from the mids :!:

i would suggest cranking the mids, and using the graphic EQ to get what you want for a curve.. the treble also adds a great deal of saturation..

there are pics of petruccis settings up on this forum

I like mids scooped to an extent, but not fully. On channel 3 for my heavier tones, I have the standard mid control at 10:00-11:00, but then scoop it totally on the graphic EQ. Last night at practice, I bumped up my mids to 12:00 and kept it scooped on the EQ, and it still sounded awesome with a little more cut. However, if I bump down to 9:00, it still really doesn't sound too scooped. I agree it is a "middy" sounding amp, but I love it!

shogun said:
A lot of the saturation comes from the mids :!:

i would suggest cranking the mids, and using the graphic EQ to get what you want for a curve.. the treble also adds a great deal of saturation..

there are pics of petruccis settings up on this forum

Yes! I have my mids and treble on 3 o'clock, but then use the standard v curve in the post-EQ. It is not muddy or harsh at all. It just sounds more saturated.

Think of the mid and treble knobs not so much as tone knobs, but as boosts into your pre-amp.

Latest posts

Back