New amp day!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
t2mike2 said:
I really wish i could get that same edge of distortion sound with the MK5, its this semi fender semi vox, sort glassy sound...

First - I would wait until the speakers are broken in before changing anything. For me this is like 40 hours or so of playing. I think I am probably halfway there. The speakers are new and a bit stiff. they will totally sink in and loosen up after cranking the amp for a few weeks. That'll change the tone - always for the better.

Second - I would change the power tubes. Try a pair of Yellowjackets and el84's. It is on my list of things to try - but I am really digging the tones I get now - so I am reluctant to do it just yet. But I am interested in seeing what this amp can do that is not the expected thing.

You should post some clips of that semi-distorted tone that you love.

Mark Fore said:
I'm still trying to fathom comparing it to a Pignose?!?!?!
When did i compare it to a pignose? I said i've OWNED a pignose (g40v). Which was a good amp when it came to mid gain sounds, actually it NAILED neil young's sound on Cortez the Killer. but yeah it wasnt good for much else.

But no im not remotely comparing the MK5 to the Pignose. Just the Bugera 333Xl lead channel (AFTER the amp was modified to my taste), to the MK5's lead sounds.

~mike~

Uncle Muscles said:
t2mike2 said:
I really wish i could get that same edge of distortion sound with the MK5, its this semi fender semi vox, sort glassy sound...

First - I would wait until the speakers are broken in before changing anything. For me this is like 40 hours or so of playing. I think I am probably halfway there. The speakers are new and a bit stiff. they will totally sink in and loosen up after cranking the amp for a few weeks. That'll change the tone - always for the better.

Second - I would change the power tubes. Try a pair of Yellowjackets and el84's. It is on my list of things to try - but I am really digging the tones I get now - so I am reluctant to do it just yet. But I am interested in seeing what this amp can do that is not the expected thing.

You should post some clips of that semi-distorted tone that you love.

The thing is its not the speakers. Im using my own cab. I got the tone i was looking for (actually i wasnt looking for it, i had no idea the MKIII could sound that good!), using the MKIII into that very same cabinet.

And it was at low volumes, very little power amp color going on. It had all 6l6's.

Its not that the MK5 clean isnt great, its just a different great, but the sound that MKIII produced.... i had been searching for that tone for YEARS. I guess mesa didnt find the MKIII's clean sounds popular enough to include. For me its the best edge of clean i have ever heard in my life.

~mike~

t2mike2 said:
Mark Fore said:
I'm still trying to fathom comparing it to a Pignose?!?!?!
When did i compare it to a pignose? I said i've OWNED a pignose (g40v). Which was a good amp when it came to mid gain sounds, actually it NAILED neil young's sound on Cortez the Killer. but yeah it wasnt good for much else.

But no im not remotely comparing the MK5 to the Pignose. Just the Bugera 333Xl lead channel (AFTER the amp was modified to my taste), to the MK5's lead sounds.

~mike~

Haha, I'm just having fun with ya Mike... thanks for being a good sport.

oh ok lol, for a second there i thought i was on harmony central lol.

But yeah pignose doesnt compare, but it was a great deal. I got it for 200 bucks a few years ago. a 40 watt brand new tube amp for 200 bucks is ridiculous.'
~mike~

Latest posts

Back