New Alter Bridge STUDIO rig pic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought #29 for my guitarist because he couldn't afford it at the time and I knew how special it was. He's been paying me back over time. So technically it's still mine.

After comparing both circuit board revisions several times at equal settings, tubes, etc...I found I have a slight preference for rev D (339) because it's voiced a little darker, making it great for rhythm. C (29) is brighter and works better for solos. I can get them both to sound the same though with the presence pot.

Even with all those heads, it's still going to be the same scooped crappy metal tone he always has. No definition and no soul... just bass and treble. No character. Sorry, but opinions are like buttholes and I have one just like everyone else.

RocksOff said:
Even with all those heads, it's still going to be the same scooped crappy metal tone he always has. No definition and no soul... just bass and treble. No character. Sorry, but opinions are like buttholes and I have one just like everyone else.

I agreed but there are people who loves these tones.
So it doesn't matter what me and you think about his tone,what matter is what he thinks about his own tone.
I like A you like B and he likes C and there are people for every letter .
So let the guy choose his own tone from his amps.
What the hell it's his work!
If he uses 10 or 100 amps it's his problem (or bless) :lol:

I spy a Roadster in there as well.

As far as how many amps people will cart into a studio, check out the racks that any good session player will bring in. Brent Mason carts three racks with a ton of amps and just a few drawers with some pedals in them. Any decent session player will come in with at least 3 clean amps, 2 dirty amps and maybe one high gain amp...some sessions demand more, but from what I've seen, a lot of them are carrying PODs around to lighten their load.

And I read somewhere that Tremonti is switching to Road Kings...something about some jam session at his house that Petrucci and Michael Angelo showed up to and Petrucci brought in three Road Kings for them to jam through.

SO it looks to me like his list of amps is: L to R, top to bottom:

Mark 4, 2 Channel DR, Diezel Herbert, Roadster
JCM 800, Bogner Ecstasy, Bogner Ubershall
Either a 1959SLP or a 1987x, a Triple Rect 3 ch. and a Randall V2

That's quite a nice collection....I'd have a couple different, but overall very good choices.

-AJH

In my experience in recording....

I would imagine alot of it has to do with BLENDING of tones.

I know that Tremonti is notorious for using a Bogner Uberschall in conjunction with his Triple Recto to add a little thunder to the over all bass of his rig.

Metallica would blend Marshalls and Mesa's to get Jaymz and Kirk's Tones for most of their "good" albums... and later on, even experiment with adding some Randalls; etc.

Lately, Nickelback has recorded using Triple Rectos, Peavey XXX, Vox Valvetronix, AC30's, Fender Twins; etc.

If you listen carefully to each track, there are subtle nuances that each amp will add to the vibe of the song - and each song is different, and needs to be recorded and mixed differently.

Just look at the "Year and Half in the life of...." Metallica video. In the recording of "Nothing Else Matters", you can see Jaymz and Bob trying out different guitars / amp set-ups to get a variety of sounds that would be blended at mix-down - Danelectro U2, Gretsch White Falcon, Gibson SG Double Neck, Rickenbacker, ESP's; etc.

I imagine if we all had the studio money and the means, most of us would do it.

I know I would.

18&Life said:
Elpelotero said:
I really see no reason for anyone to use 10 amps to find just one little tone for one fill of a song that the average listener is never going to notice.

You see no reason,well the band see it and it's their stuff. :wink:

Imagine that you will record your cd and you have free studio time to record it.If you aren't rich,you will borrow your friend's amps to find the tone you are looking for .Ten amps isn't too much at all.
Mesa tone's and other amps tones are what they are because of the experimentation of musicians over decades in the studio.If there isn't experimentation,we're still using our guitars plugged into our father's stereo :wink:

I totally agree. I am a tone collector as well. I mean come on, I am always willing to try out a new amp. Yes , I have my FAVORITES (mostly MESA) but looking at that pic did give me a slight CHUB if ya know what I mean. LOL

Latest posts

Back