New Ace Speaker Ideas

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstefani

Reaction score
Like many 'plexi' type of amps, the Ace combo has a full compliment of HIGH end! We'll call it bright. :wink:

I have a set of Weber alnicos that I will swap out of my super reverb from time to time, and they are so nice. I remembered seeing the British series speakers on his website, so I did some looking around last night.

He has the silver bell alnicos: 25/50/65/75 watts - nice selection!
http://www.webervst.com - speakers/British series

I checked out Harmony Central this morning to see if anyone had written anything on them, and I found this write up, check out just the first one.
http://tinyurl.com/yd9ba8

Sounds like it's just what the doctor ordered, I play blues/rock/jazz and the top end of the Ace is a wild weasel for me to control. Amp and guitar trebles set very low. I think I'm going to get the 65 watt.

I'm hoping to check this out in the next few weeks, along with the winged C EL34's and some EH-12Ax7's.

In the mean time I hope to start working with my mac trying to get some decent recordings going so I can share the tone here.

If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know.
I'll probably order them next week some time.

Thanks,

- dstefani

I posted this in another thread. I'm waiting for a Mesa Black shadow C90 to show up I just bought. I'm hoping that will tame the highs and add some bottom. Tubes i've been swapping like crazy. Sure are ***** to get them 12ax7's in. :D

I have not done this yet, but when I looked at the small area to work with as to the preamp tubes I thought I'd just pull the chassis and switch them that way. I've got really big hands!

Which tubes have you tried?
What were your thoughts on them?

- dstefani

what a coinsidence

ive ordered a 212 cabinet with weber silver bells for my ace head. they came at the reccomendation of the cabinet builder himself after i enquired about celestions. he couldn't say enough about them.

I really dig the way mine sounds completely stock.. first time an amp has done that for me cause I'm usually a tweaker. I'd love to hear clips of those silver bells though, might be an interesting upgrade..

bigdan19 said:
what a coinsidence

ive ordered a 212 cabinet with weber silver bells for my ace head. they came at the reccomendation of the cabinet builder himself after i enquired about celestions. he couldn't say enough about them.

what kind of celestions do the weber silver bells sound like? I'm going for a cab with greenbacks for my ace

what kind of celestions do the weber silver bells sound like? I'm going for a cab with greenbacks for my ace

the cab builder (amwatts) was happy to put celestions in for me but thought the webers were alot nicer, . the amwatts cabinet is ready just awaiting some tolex from the states. im going to run 2/ heads and 2/ 2x12 cabs.

heres some of the comments he made

They are a really versatile speaker, they have no worries pulling off that Classic Rock sound,Both British and American They're very smooth and tight in the bottom end.They can certainly handle what you throw at them without getting flabby and farting.They sound really nice clean but come into their own when played dirty.
A great all rounder that is good to swap between heads and mix with other cabs.Perfect for what you want to use them for.

my first amp orders due next week. ledford amps, built here in australia.
http://www.ledfordamps.com/pages/212c.htm

the sites a little outdated but its a 40watt (switchable to 15watt)
handwired point to point head. ive ordered the 212c pictured with it theyre both coming next week.its loaded with 2x25w greenbacks.

im going to try the ledford cab with the ace aswell so pm me if you want to know how the greenbacks go.

ive got a 212 with

I loaded my LSS 1x12 cab with an Alnico 30W Silver Bell and it sounds great alone and in conjunction with another speaker. I formerly had a 30w alnico Blue Dog and currently (for 1 day) have a Celestion Gold in the LSS combo and the Silver Bell compliments both of them equally with a full tight bottom. I think you'll be pleased with your selection.

Back