new 5/50 plus quesgtion...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneseeka

Reaction score
Is tube life going to be any shorter running in 5,25,or50 mode? if so how much? I use my amp at least every other day.

c'mon now.be good boys and girls and answer my question.In return....I'll reveal THE distortion peadal to use with this amp.....

what i mean is I'm wondering if running it in the 5 watt mode(which supposedly makes the amp "break up" quicker) shortens tube life as opposed to the 25 or 50 watt mode.My first tube amp,and maybe this is a stupid question?

Not a stupid question, but I have no idea the answer. Which makes me think it's not big deal. I've played tube amps almost daily for many years and for me tube replacement has been infrequent.

Short answer is yes - sort of.

First understand the biggest outlier is 5 watt mode. I know only one tube is running to output power, the other are in standby. Unless you are driving the tube significantly harder, the tube life will be comparable, but one tube will wear quicker. I switch positions every 6 months to ensure ever wear. I get 2-3 years on my tubes, because that's when I change them.

The tubes in 15 W and 25 W modes should wear about equal as they are both used.

I tend to pick 5W to drive it harder at lower volumes so it tends to wear the tube quicker.

It really comes down to how hard you drive the power section (and which tubes) in each mode.

oh by the way....I have over 300 o.d and dis. pedals.What I think sounds best in this amp guitar>mxr custom badass o.d.>JHS Angry Charlie=any sound you want!

Back