new 5:25 user tube problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiotaxi

Reaction score
Hi all
new to the board (and Mesa)

just got a brand new 5:25, and at first practice was loving it, until a couple of hours in, it started losing power and farting. I discovered a red plating power tube. Oh well, these things happen..

When I went back to the store today, they only had yellow grade EL84s , as opposed to the white that was stock.
Can I use these with no harm? I have read that you are supposed to switch like for like.

Have called Mesa support, but no call back. Not a good start, but any advise from you guys would be appreciated. :wink:

Just buy two Yellow and keep the one good White as a spare.
It's OK to mix in a pinch, it won't kill your amp. It just might not be optimum and may not sound as good, although there's a thread somewhere of someone who liked the mis-match. :D

Mesa will follow up with you. Use your serial number when you call. They are really on top of stuff as far as communication in service.

My Express 5:25 is at the factory being looked at for a very similar complaint. I expect the repairs to be as solid as the rest of the transaction, so expectations are high. From reading around the net though, I'm optimistic on the repair.

You can use any of the colour grades. They will all work fine. My Express came with Yellows and and it now has Blues as that is what I was given when I asked the shop for replacements.

Latest posts

Back