New 5:25+ owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark-m

Reaction score
Just picked up a 5:25 plus head (into a cab with 2 V30 speakers), and ran it through my first band practice this weekend.
Classic and modern rock covers with another guitarist and I had no problems volume wise with plenty of room to go up.
That was my biggest worry.
This amp sounds great and I haven't even messed with the EQ section at all. May never have to!

Just wanted to share my excitement.

I just picked up the Combo version. Wanted to go with a head but didnt want to do a 2x12. GREAT amp!!!!! Are you using any dirt pedals with it or just the gain from the amp??

dml13 said:
I just picked up the Combo version. Wanted to go with a head but didnt want to do a 2x12. GREAT amp!!!!! Are you using any dirt pedals with it or just the gain from the amp??

Not using any dirt pedals yet, but thinking of adding a Grind Slammer to get some low gain on my clean channel and boost my crunch into higher gain territory.

I'm using the "blues" as my clean channel and "crunch" as my main distrortion channel.

mark-m said:
dml13 said:

Not using any dirt pedals yet, but thinking of adding a Grind Slammer to get some low gain on my clean channel and boost my crunch into higher gain territory.

I'm using the "blues" as my clean channel and "crunch" as my main distrortion channel.

I just got my new 5:25+ head as well. After much experimentation, I too am using the "Blues" for my clean and the "Crunch" for my distortion. At this point I don't see the need for any OD pedals, as using the EQ in and out and the solo in and out gives me 3 cleans and 3 levels of distortion, so I think I'm covered.

Also, tried an MC90, a V30, a G12T-100, and a WGS ET-65 in my single 12", and the MC90 won out, ET-65 was second. The MC90 has a presence and chime that only the V30 had, but the V30 was just too aggressive in the upper-mids and highs for my taste, and it's well broken in.

A great, great head. I think my amp GAS days are over for a while!

Al

Yea, the amp gas is def at bay! Now let's go back to guitar gas! LOL

I have the 5:50 and with humbuckers I find the range of gain available does not require any pedals. The crunch setting can get pretty clean below 10 and above 1 is classic Mesa. I've heard the "blues for clean, crunch for lead" but I prefer the other way. I think channel one is fatter and channel two cuts through, is more focused.

I'm not that technical - but I'm the same clean is clean/crunch is crunch. I faintly remember back in the day we actually got our gain from the amp. LOL! I'm more than happy with that idea on this model! Were PEDALS even around in the 80's - I know I purchased one but I dont remember seeing "pedalboards" like the way they are used now. Ok, never mind I sound old. LOL

I'm having such a blast with this amp I haven't even tried out the EQ section yet.
It going to be great to be able to toggle that in and out too.

I went ahead and orderd a Mesa Grind Slammer OD, just because playing live I wil be able to get 4 tones easy without messing with too many knobs.

mark-m said:
I'm having such a blast with this amp I haven't even tried out the EQ section yet.

I went ahead and orderd a Mesa Grind Slammer OD, just because playing live I wil be able to get 4 tones easy without messing with too many knobs.

I LOVE transparent ODs with the Express amps. I use an Analogman King of Tone and a tubescreamer on my main board, and a Timmy and a tubescreamer on my backup board. The KOT and Timmy really do a nice job of giving "more of the same" from the amp.

The tubescreamers are primarily used on the blues channel (which like most of you I set for a clean tone and use the crunch setting on channel 1 for gain).

So anyone by chance running an additional EQ on the Plus through the Effects loop? I put a 6 band MXR in and noticed an audible difference - I just can't decide if it's overkill or an actual enhancement to the onboard eq?

David Garner said:
mark-m said:

I LOVE transparent ODs with the Express amps. I use an Analogman King of Tone and a tubescreamer on my main board, and a Timmy and a tubescreamer on my backup board. The KOT and Timmy really do a nice job of giving "more of the same" from the amp.

The tubescreamers are primarily used on the blues channel (which like most of you I set for a clean tone and use the crunch setting on channel 1 for gain).

You are so right about this!
I just received my Grid Slammer OD, and now I have 4 great tones as my feet for playing live.

dml13 said:
So anyone by chance running an additional EQ on the Plus through the Effects loop? I put a 6 band MXR in and noticed an audible difference - I just can't decide if it's overkill or an actual enhancement to the onboard eq?

I often used a 6-band EQ in the loop, but that was when I had much lesser quality amps.

Well I keep experimenting - but I've put the on board EQ into action and placed the MXR in front after the drive pedals. Using both seems to work. I could be crazy - but it seems like more tonal options are happening.

well you can put 10 EQs in the loop if you want, then youll have lot of options :mrgreen:

i don't really understand the point of puttin an EQ in the loop if you have a new + model...even pros dont need so many sounds...

well I think you should focus on your playing and not on inventing hot water ....

Appreciate the advice.

Try to keep in mind that a "forum" is a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of common interest. That's what we were all doing before you brought your buzzkill.

ok, I'm sorry...you should also get yourself some reverb pedals and also a boost pedal for solo so you have even more options...or maybe the best thing would be to get another express + head so you have two of them for even more tonal options :p

Back