Need your amp opinions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renarts

Reaction score
Howdy all! I'm new here and think I've finally found the Holy Grail of Mesa info.

I've been using a Triaxis/2:90/2x12 Verticle Recto cab (wired stereo) rig with Jackson SL1s/Les Pauls & Strats with EMG Gilmour PUs for some years and have been quite happy with all of it. I do mainly classic rock from ZZ Top to Pink Floyd and everything in between. I play mainly small to mid-sized clubs.

As I'm getting older, my back is telling me to dump that weighty pig of a 2:90 and go for something lighter like a 20/20, but my head thinks I'll lose sufficient volume and tone to gig happily with.

I would appreciate some opinions, especially from Triaxis/20/20 owners please.
Thanks!
8)

Renarts said:
Howdy all! I'm new here and think I've finally found the
As I'm getting older, my back is telling me to dump that weighty pig of a 2:90 and go for something lighter like a 20/20, but my head thinks I'll lose sufficient volume and tone to gig happily with.
8)

You wouldn't be losing volume. Let's put it this way: you'd go from *way too much* volume to *more than enough* volume. Is it a loss? It's up to you. I don't think so.

You would be losing your current tone. You'd gain another tone, whether it is a loss or not it's up to tastes. I like 6L6 tone better than EL84s, but that's my personal taste.

I had TA and 20/20 in the past, found it a truly beautifully sounding couple.

Thanks Fatboy & Straitouttahell. I appreciate the input.

I've always been a 6L6 guy, but I 'd like to explore the EL84 possibilities.

I think I'm convinced enough to at least try out the TA & 20/20 setup. And I'll probably keep my 2:90 for backup and large gigs.
8)

straitouttahell said:
Let's put it this way: you'd go from *way too much* volume to *more than enough* volume.
I agree.

I'll throw in another thumbs-up for the Triaxis-20/20 combo. I made the change from 2:90 about 8 years ago, and I've never shed a tear of regret. Not that the 2:90 wasn't fantastic (especially after I modded it with adjustable bias, and put in NOS GE and RCA 6L6GC), but I find the 20/20 to be more than sufficient.

- Thom

Thanks guys, I really respect your opinions. I'm definitely going to check out the 20/20. Are there any major differences between the older chrome face and newer black face models?
8)

Renarts said:
Thanks guys, I really respect your opinions. I'm definitely going to check out the 20/20. Are there any major differences between the older chrome face and newer black face models?
8)

I think chrome faceplate was used in the early versions because this poweramp should have been the perfect companion for the V-Twin rack pre. Possibly, but I'm just guessing here, the relatively poor success of V-Twin on one hand, and the huge commercial success of 20/20 on the other, proved it would be a good idea to make 20/20 look like the rest of the family. AFAIK the differences between the two are just cosmetic.

Renarts said:
Thanks Fatboy & Straitouttahell. I appreciate the input.

I've always been a 6L6 guy, but I 'd like to explore the EL84 possibilities.

I think I'm convinced enough to at least try out the TA & 20/20 setup. And I'll probably keep my 2:90 for backup and large gigs.
8)

That's exactly what I did......I couldn't give up my 2:90 or 20/20 so I just kept both.. I use my 20/20 with a 2x12 cab with low wattage (high Efficiency) Celestion G12 Century -- and it sounds awesome. There is something special about the 20/20 that I just can't replicate with the 2:90, especially when playing smaller venues and volume has to be controlled.

On the other hand, When playing a bigger stage or outdoors (with poor monitoing), the 20/20 runs out of headroom and begins to compress alot--too much for may tastes.

I would never sell my 2:90, although I have gone through many 20/20s -- always thinking that I could cop the tone with the 2:90 -- NOT...as another poster said...it's a totally different tone with the 20/20 (I'd say sweeter and more dynamic at lower volumes)

But you can't beat the girth of the 2:90.

In essence, I found that the 2:90 (for my paying styles) sounds better with higher wattage speakers (i.e. EV & C90), while the 20/20 sounds more natural and fluid with lower wattage/high efficiency speakers (i.e Celestion -- V30, G12 Century Neo)

Just my 2 cents

All I can say is wow!. I got a used 20/20 with JJ Tesla tubes installed off of Ebay and man, you guys were right on! This little beast rocks!

I ran it side by side to test the differences with my 2:90 and they are different critters, each with their own strong points. But after playing with it for a couple of days and tweeking my TA a bit, I've got a whole new respect for the 20/20. I can't believe how good this amp sounds and the new life it has breathed into my rack is wonderful. Of course I'll keep the 2:90 for the really big venues, but it looks like the 20/20 is my new weapon of choice.

Thanks again to all of you guys for your insights and encouragement. You all did me a great service. Ya'll rock hard!
8)

All I can say is wow!. I got a used 20/20 with JJ Tesla tubes installed off of Ebay and man, you guys were right on! This little beast rocks!

I ran it side by side to test the differences with my 2:90 and they are different critters, each with their own strong points. But after playing with it for a couple of days and tweeking my TA a bit, I've got a whole new respect for the 20/20. I can't believe how good this amp sounds and the new life it has breathed into my rack is wonderful. Of course I'll keep the 2:90 for the really big venues, but it looks like the 20/20 is my new weapon of choice.

I´m a british el84 gentleman :lol:

Back