Need to reduce the output of my Studio Pre Main Outs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japster

Reaction score
Hi,

I know that my question looks a bit stupid but it's not. I have the Studio Pre in the Insert Loop of my TC Electronics G-System.

Problem is the Main Outs are too hot and are causing digital clipping on the G-System, the Recording outs are the wrong sound and the Effects loop out bypasses the V4 tube.

So I hear you say, why don't you just turn it down, well to achieve no-clipping I have to turn it down to between 1-2 on the dial. This makes the amp sound really weak and thin, which is not good.

So was wondering if I could reduce the output another way, such as replacing the V4 12AX7 for a 12AT7 which I hear are lower gain tubes ?

Any advice appreciated,

My other option is to buy a Level Attenuator and put it between the Pre Main outs and the G-System Insert Return, but this seems costly and unneccessary I think.

japster said:
Hi,

I know that my question looks a bit stupid but it's not. I have the Studio Pre in the Insert Loop of my TC Electronics G-System.

Problem is the Main Outs are too hot and are causing digital clipping on the G-System, the Recording outs are the wrong sound and the Effects loop out bypasses the V4 tube.

So I hear you say, why don't you just turn it down, well to achieve no-clipping I have to turn it down to between 1-2 on the dial. This makes the amp sound really weak and thin, which is not good.

So was wondering if I could reduce the output another way, such as replacing the V4 12AX7 for a 12AT7 which I hear are lower gain tubes ?

Any advice appreciated,

My other option is to buy a Level Attenuator and put it between the Pre Main outs and the G-System Insert Return, but this seems costly and unneccessary I think.
did you try to balance input,output and levels on the G-system and lower the channel levels on the studio pre?

Putting lower gain tubes in will alfter your sound as well. I'd continue to try adjusting your in and outs until you've reached the levels you want. Time consuming but tone is worth the investment.

Oddly enough I have noticed the same issue with my Quad and TC Gmajor 2. The gm2 clips at almost any level.

I just set the input and output on the Gmajor2 at around 12oclock on each which reduced it somewhat so then I just decided to just live with it. It would be ideal to know how to resolve this though.

I don't know if you tried it yet, but keep MASTER control on the Studio Pre lower (I have mine at 4/5 if I remember well).

Latest posts

Back