need source for amp head cabinets for mesa...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIDAKDUR

Reaction score
I am looking to convert my Mesa blue angel and nomad 55 single 12 combo's into amp heads. does Mesa sell the head cabinet alone? Any guess to the $? Is there another recommended cabinet maker?

THANKS.

Wouldn't it make more sense to sell the combos and just buy a head? I can't imagine that it is cost effective to do this.

HIDAKDUR said:
I am looking to convert my Mesa blue angel and nomad 55 single 12 combo's into amp heads. does Mesa sell the head cabinet alone? Any guess to the $? Is there another recommended cabinet maker?

THANKS.

When I turned my Mark IV from a combo to a head, I bought directly from Boogie.

They sell the non reverb-tank heads for about 260 and the ones with the tank built in, for 300.

Call them directly. Its easy to swap them out too.

I also got my head cabinet from boogie. After my dc-10 head was stolen from my practice space, all I could find to replace it was a combo. So I bought it and called boogie, they sent me out a head cabinet with a reverb tank preinstalled, the swap was super easy. Now I can switch it back to a 2X12 if I ever needed to.

do the sensible thing. Actually, both have been discontinued making them harder to find in head only form and I really liked the ones I have. I guess I'll call mesa...

It seems that most amps, regardless of the brand, have their own personality. I've A/B'ed many of the same amps in stores, and each one sounded or felt slightly different.

I bought a Solo 50 Combo Cabinet on Ebay for $100. I recovered it in the tolex of my choice (Wine Buggy Whip Taurus), and swapped the parts from my Rectoverb into it.

I absolutely love the amp, it was worth it. I've tried a few other Rectoverbs, but they don't seem to have the same feel & tone as this one.

I think it goes beyond tubes. Anyone can say "Oh, it's just the differences in tubes," but there are many more things going on in an amp. It could be that parts were substituted (Marshall & Fender do this alot), or maybe SBE had a bad day at the Capacitor Factory and made some shitty, or better, capacitors.

If you like your amps, and especially if they are out of production, you should be able to customize them in any way you want. I've built a small business based on this premise. Many of my customers want a unique sound or look for their amps, I am only too happy to oblige, and I don't charge an arm & a leg.

Hey bra, how'z it? Lucky you live Hawaii. (I used to live in Kailua)

Shaka my Bruddah!!!!!!

I'm always amazed at the amount of people I meet from Hawaii, and the amount of people that I knew on the Mainland that live out here now.

Truly a small world. 8)

Back