Need New Speaker For Mark II(A) - Another EVM 12L?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Reaction score
Well the EVM 12L finally went out on my old Mark II(A). I bought this baby new back in 1979 and am just now starting to play it again after many years of it just gathering dust.

My Boogie has the separate cab, 100/60 watt, reverb, EQ and of course the EVM 12L speaker. I'm not certain, but I think my original EVM 12L is pretty much the same speaker as the 'Black' model being sold today. That one is a little rich for my blood so I'm considering the slightly less expensive "Classic". It will probably still be my most expensive option, so are there some other speakers I should take a look at?

I know a new EVM 12L (Classic) will probably be my most expensive option, so are there some other speakers I should take a look at?

Probably important to note that I won't be gigging anymore with this amp. I'm mostly using the clean channel these days and playing jazz and chord melody standards and originals preferring a nice warm tone at lower volumes.

StevieB said:
Well the EVM 12L finally went out on my old Mark II(A). I bought this baby new back in 1979 and am just now starting to play it again after many years of it just gathering dust.

My Boogie has the separate cab, 100/60 watt, reverb, EQ and of course the EVM 12L speaker. I know a new EVM 12L (Classic) will probably be my most expensive option, so are there some other speakers I should take a look at?

Probably important to note that I won't be gigging anymore with this amp. I'm mostly using the clean channel these days and playing jazz and chord melody standards and originals preferring a nice warm tone at lower volumes.

IMO, the 12-L is great in a Mark II, and it won't be a great difference in price for a "lesser" speaker, but there are good options that will be lighter! A Mesa MC-90 is a good speaker for Marks, as is the MS-12, an original "base" Mark II speaker option. I saw some 12-Ls on eBay in the last several days.

Consider the Altec Lansing 4178H and the Eminence MS-12, two other high-power guitar speakers Mesa put in the early Mark amps from the factory.

Back