Need more mids on my Dual Rec 3 Channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escalates77

Reaction score
Hey guys, hows it goin? I have another question that you all might be able to help me with. I have a Dual Rectifier 3 Channel, and my question is..on channel 3 (red channel) i've dialed in a really good sound for me except for it seems to be lacking in some mids. I like using a lot of mids in my sound anyways and i have the mids all the way up on the red channel. I have 6L6 tubes in there now and i think i'm going to switch to EL34's because i think that might help me with getting more mids out of my distortion channel. Any help would be awesome!

If you have the mids all the way up and it's not enough, then, yeah, you'll probably like EL34s better.

Try rolling off the treble a bit, too - it should make the mids "jump" a bit more, and the more you turn up the treble, the less the other EQ knobs do...

What cab and speakers are you using? Something with V30's may help....if you're not already using them.

I have the same problem my friend.....too scooped of a tone with the 6L6s!

Have a quad of E34Ls at home, and I'll be popping them in very good!

eaeolian said:
If you have the mids all the way up and it's not enough, then, yeah, you'll probably like EL34s better.

Try rolling off the treble a bit, too - it should make the mids "jump" a bit more, and the more you turn up the treble, the less the other EQ knobs do...

+1 to the above quote. Also you might want to put a JJ ECC-803 in V1. They bring out the low mids very well.

Yeah, i'm gonna go with the JJ E34L's and that should help my mids. Also, i'm using a marshall 1960 4x12 cab, and i use a PRS Santana SE

I've got two threads with clips in them in the Rigs/Tones forum with a Dual Rec and JJEL34L's.. check them out and that's what you can expect.

How about the interaction of the Presence control in this scenario? With the Treble lowered, the Presence should interact with the Mid control's frequencies! Both of these up, with the Treble lower should get quite nasty! I can't imagine the Mids all the way up? I think your getting out of the usable range of that control, where it begins lacking interaction with the other controls! Maybe try starting over? :idea:

Can I jump in here and say that the way that Im able to bring my tone to balance with itself and get the "Bark" in the mids to come out which I think is what you are looking for is to turn the bass control down more. I believe you will find as I did that if you turn the bass off and play while turning the bass knob clockwise towards noon you will find that about 10:30 the edge on your strings starts to get sucked inward and so the scooped sound starts to bring itself out and I find that for my tastes I start to loose all tange-ability of the strings and the "bark" is removed from your sound. I think you'll find all the chunk and bark balanced and present when you have the Bass set respectively @ 11 oclock or a little under(10:30-10:45). Next is to be sure that you dont get too carried away with the mids and treble. Now I too like that mids-y chunky sound thats both tight and big for metal and hard core. When I pegged the mids I also found that there was never enough, but when I respectively turned my treble and bass to a more sensible level I began to get what I was looking for. I suggest pegging the Presence (clockwise to 6 oclock) on Channel 2 for your main sound to give you those harmonics and the edge your looking for without getting muddy. You'll sound pretty harsh when doing this but the unwanted nasties can all be dialed out with the tone controls. Plus it will keep higher gain settings from getting muddy (as muddy) when backing down your guitar volume for dynamics and headroom. I play my gain between 2 oclock and 2:30 my mids are plenty "there" with harmonics and single notes screaming @ 9-10 oclock after the presence is turned up(believe it or not!!). I notice that with my treble control turning towards the "off" direction my mids start to get allot more chunky and I like that!! So what I found was that @ about 1 oclock I had all of the chunk with the sustain I was looking for with great harmonic "slide-off's". Of course I am set to the modern mode and Tube rectifier/bold for these setups on my Triple with 6L6's. I too contemplated swapping out the 6L6's for EL34's but after listening to some of the big guys get the tones they do with stock amps I thought to myself that I didnt spend $1800 to have to modify it to get the tone Im looking for. So I decided to keep messing with it before I spent $100+ on a set of power tubes that Im not sure will fix my issue. Besides, I like EL34's, but there is always a trade off in the tone with them--because they are a softer tube they seem to break up and get muddier on the low end quicker. Although I love the chime! But to each his/her own!! :wink:

P.S. Also try turning up your overall output and turning down your channel master to give you power tube squeeze @ a lower volume--this helps me alot--amp output @ 12 oclock and the channel volume on modern channel respectively @ 8-9 oclock. Use the channel output for your over-all volume match. :wink:

Latest posts

Back