Need help deciding if I want a Mark V or a roadster, etc.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRory

Reaction score
Just like the subject says, I need help deciding if I want to buy a Mark V or a Roadster, or another type of amp to suit my needs for rock/hardrock/alternative and metal genres. I know the Mark V can do old school stuff like Metallica (MoP and such) but could I get some good modern metal tones out of this amp? I have a Menatone Red Snapper Overdrive (basically a tube screamer with more gain and perserves the bass) so maybe I could get some higher gain out of it with that, but I'd also like to play stuff like Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Bullet for my valentine, Atreyu etc. I don't need to sound exactly like the bands I play, otherwise I'd just get a rec. and only play that. I played a marshall JVM2000 DSL 100w and noticed it sounded pretty bad at low volumes and Id like a amp that can sound decent at low volumes but still push out heavy stuff, and clean. The new Rectifier has a 50/100w variac or whatever and that seems cool, but I really want to hear what you guys think. Could I achieve tones slightly similar to BFMV or Foo Fighters while still being able to turn the gain down and play some santana or some dire straits? Would using EL-34s help or just putting some new 6L6s or preamp tubes with higher gain help? I want to hear all your tips, thanks for reading this wall of text, sorry!

I had a Roadster that went away after I picked up a Mark V. The clean and crunch channels on the Roadster were great but, to me, the high-gain channels were pretty much one-trick ponies. I tried the EQ in the loop and overdrive pedal to get a high-gain sound besides the "recto sound", and I could never get it just the way I wanted it. The Mark V, however, had the gain tone that I was after without any external assistance.

In a nutshell, the Mark V can come a lot closer to copping Road King/Roadster/Recto grind than the Rectos can come to nailing the smooth gains of the Mark amp.

If you lean toward the heavier stuff more often, the Recto amps might be the ticket for you, but if you spend as much or more time outside of the heavy stuff, you'll probably be happier with the V.

The Roadster has something the Mark V doesn't. With that said, the Mark V has quite alot the Roadster doesn't.

If I could only have one, I would get the Mark V... but I'm not you.

There is nothing like playing heavy rhythms on a Recto.

Cool, the only way I can truly decide it to hopefully try out a mark V. I've tried a Mark IV combo and a Roadster combo but there was no Mark V for display but I found out the music store owner bought a Mark V combo for himself and I'd really love to try it, so hopefully hes kind enough to bring it in one day and let me try it out since there is a high chance that a Mesa will be my next amp, most likely the Mark V head. Oh btw, does this amp sound a lot different with EL34's compared to 6L6s? What kind of differences do you guys notice (if you tried both)

I have a ESP EC-1000 deluxe with EMGs (great for hard rock and metal) and I'm getting a Strat American special soon for my birthday, Im hoping each guitar will sound unique and great through the mark V :)

Even though the Recto's probably have more gain, there is something about the V that just sounds heavier to me. I usually stick with Mark IV mode (which to my ears sounds heavier than Extreme, too) and even with a lot of gain, you can really hear each string and the harmonics.

For me personally, even for the high gain rock/metal stuff, I just prefer the over-all vibe/mood and tone of the Mark series amps.

I had a dual rectifier and I took that back. It made my low E string sound like a 100 gauge bass string. . .I wasn't really down with that (might be your thing.) Mark V less bassy. . .my guitar string sounds like a guitar string. . .more midrange.

I tried the Mark IV out again this weekend (I couldn't really crank it but still) I love the clean far more then a roadster and the crunch is great but the heaviness wasnt really there. Well, it was heavy, but it had really bad bass, even when I cranked the bass. The owner said he would bring his mark V combo in next weekend and let me try it so I really want to do that and I'm gonna bring my Overdrive pedal with me, so maybe I can get something I like out of that. I don't need full on metal bass chugging but I do expect the bass to stand out! The Roadster had better metal distortion but I couldnt stand the cleans and crunch, they were too thin IMO, and I wasnt aloud to crank it so I bet both amps are better cranked. Can't wait to try the Mark V! By the way, does the addition of a Rectifier tube in the Mark V make it sound any heavier then the Mark IV which doesnt have one?

When you try the Mark V, if you are used to the Roadster's bass, try the Extreme setting first, with the gain pushed pretty high up. Extreme has the most thump to it, though Mark IV mode sounds more saturated.

The Mark is a mid-heavy amp. It won't compete with the bass of the Dual Rec series. On the other hand, it's a piece of cake to get an excellent lead tone out of the Mark V, while I always found it a struggle to get a good soloing tone from a DR.

You might try a good EQ in the loop for extra bass. But it seems to be the consensus that you really can't get a DR sound out of a Mark.

Alright, well maybe in the FAR future I can get a used dual rec off ebay or something for cheap but I think Im gonna try the the Mark V and see how heavy it can get with tweaking and a Overdrive, Im guessing pretty heavy, I'll try using a EQ in the loop too to just boost the bass if I need to, I bet I can get a good heaviness out of it. Id rather have the mark and have great cleans crunch and decent heaviness then a rec which is basically just amazing at heavy rhythm stuff. I can't have everything! Any tips on what modes to put the Mark V on with wattage and variac and rectifier tubes to get a modern heavier setting out of it? I'm using EMGs so that helps to push it.

I had a Roadster, couldn't get on with the fizzy gain. No smoothness or dynamics, just like a fuzz pedal on steroids. I've been through several amps since then and have now settled on an Engl Steve Morse and my Mark V. Awesome amps.

Back