Need cabinet recommendations for Mark V 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krb813

Reaction score
I'm looking at the 1 x 12 Widebody Closed Back. I'm thinking maybe I might like the Mini Rectifer 1x12 slant better. Any thoughts? I would appreciate any suggestions. My local music store does not have the Rec Cab for me to try.

Thanks,

Kevin

In my opinion the mini rec cab is a bit anemic by itself, better on top of a Thiele. I really like the widebody ported, and the Thiele is decent.

Don't forget to keep it coupled to the floor or you will lose all the low end. I played my widebody on its side with the V25 on top of it and it worked great.

I've tried 3 different cabinets that I already own with this amp. Here are my results. (of course entirely subjective)

1. Music Man 2X10 open back. I felt this combo to be the tightest of the 3. Great clarity. But with the 10's, I needed to have the EQ on to get that low end to come out.
I'm using this at my home studio for recording and practicing.

2. Line 6 1X12 open back with Celestion. OK, didn't really grab me. Was round but not as tight as the MM. Low end was ok, but needed help.

3. Mesa Rectifier 2X12 closed back. This cab helps bring out the lows but it's not as clear as the MM to my ears. It's close though. I used this for a gig last night and put it on it's side so I didn't get the full effect of the low end. But it has plenty. This amp/cab was plenty loud with a full band (including a drummer that goes to 11).

This is my 2nd Mesa amp. I also own a Roadster 2X12 combo that I only use for recording. Mostly due to weight. It's a heavy bugger!
This Mark is now my go to amp from here on. I got sound and clarity that I've never heard from my playing at gig levels. I'm extremely happy with this amp.
I'm sure you'll pick whatever you feel is right for your playing and tone.

I'll give a full review of my impressions on the Mark V:25 paired with a Vertical Recto 2x12 this weekend if Fed Ex comes through.

I'm using mine with the Thiele w/C90 and it sounds great. I have another Thiele with Mesas Fillemore 75 installed ordered to stack on top of the one I have now.

Thanks for the input everyone. Now you having me thinking about the Thiele.

I have the widebody ported and that's a really great sounding cab with the MKV 25. I've owned that for a while now. I was thinking on getting another one to stack on top but the thiele looks good as well. Any major differences between both cabs does anyone know?

I A/B/C'd the Thiele, widebody ported and recto 2x12, all with V30. All sound great. I used both a Mini Recto and V:25.

All sounded clear across the frequency range. The 2x12 had the most low-end, but the widebody was almost indistinguishable from the 2x12. The Thiele had noticeably less low-end, which is why I chose the widebody.

NOTE: I had all 3 on the floor next to each other. Coupling to the floor is critical.

I have played through the Thiele several times, and it sounds great, really tight and pretty big. If you want more of a tight metal sound, it is probably great. I wanted as much low-end as I could get. I was trying to get the sound of a 4x12 in a small, portable setup.

The Thiele is also a lot smaller than the widebody, which is a nice feature. I have thought a lot about getting two Thieles due to the size, but I wound up ordering another widebody. The widebody is portable enough, and no compromise for me.

elvis said:
I A/B/C'd the Thiele, widebody ported and recto 2x12, all with V30. All sound great. I used both a Mini Recto and V:25.

All sounded clear across the frequency range. The 2x12 had the most low-end, but the widebody was almost indistinguishable from the 2x12. The Thiele had noticeably less low-end, which is why I chose the widebody.

NOTE: I had all 3 on the floor next to each other. Coupling to the floor is critical.

I have played through the Thiele several times, and it sounds great, really tight and pretty big. If you want more of a tight metal sound, it is probably great. I wanted as much low-end as I could get. I was trying to get the sound of a 4x12 in a small, portable setup.

The Thiele is also a lot smaller than the widebody, which is a nice feature. I have thought a lot about getting two Thieles due to the size, but I wound up ordering another widebody. The widebody is portable enough, and no compromise for me.

Interesting Elvis, looks like you've been through them all in great detail lol. I'll probably end up buying another wide body myself when I get some more cash together.

I had a slight issue with volume last week at rehearsal. It felt kinda like it was struggling a little The mark v 25 was up loud no doubt about it I think the rest of the band were just too loud. Plus I had my new pedalboard that I hadn't used in rehearsal before so there could of been a couple of factors there. I thought maybe the second cab might help with the spread of sound as my wide body is on casters but still low to the floor. I'm rehearsing again tonight so will see what happens. I'll have my recto-verb 25 with me as well so I can change between them if I want.

Try turning the gain way down. At high volume the power tubes saturate big time and the amp can get squashed and lose all its transient response. You'll have plenty of sustain, don't worry.

I have found the MV25 seems quite a bit louder than my MR when I play with my band. If you can't get your band to turn down, split the FX return to both your MV25 and your RV25. That will be a LOT louder. I played a gig that way and had more than enough. Two 25W amps in parallel should give you similar volume to a 100W amp.

elvis said:
Try turning the gain way down. At high volume the power tubes saturate big time and the amp can get squashed and lose all its transient response. You'll have plenty of sustain, don't worry.

I have found the MV25 seems quite a bit louder than my MR when I play with my band. If you can't get your band to turn down, split the FX return to both your MV25 and your RV25. That will be a LOT louder. I played a gig that way and had more than enough. Two 25W amps in parallel should give you similar volume to a 100W amp.

I've found that as well the Rectoverb 25 is a lot louder definitely. I think it's my G2 board I'm having a vol issue with the post gain on it. I think I need to turn it up more to compensate.

I am very pleased with the sound of the MV25 through my widebody, closed back, ported with C90 speaker.
I purchased the widebody cab a few years ago as an extension cab for my Big Mark V combo amp. It ended up being the perfect match for me.

I've played mine through the 1x12 thiele and a mini recto slant and I prefer the thiele. It sounds warmer and more robust, epescially the cleans.

Curious to hear thoughts between any of the Mesa 2x12's (vert 2x12 in particular) and the 1x12 options, especially for lower volumes.

I get similar tone and volume from the 1x12 widebody closed back ported and the 2x12 vertical recto. But the 1x12 needs to be on the floor or it loses all its low-end. Both have V30.

Back