need boogie owners opinion on speaker bottoms 2x12 or 4x12??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccwhiskey

Reaction score
hi ,new owner of the dual rectifier roadster ,and only could afford the mesa 2x12 cab . it sounds really good ,but how much better is the 4x12 mesa ,i dont have alot of time to drive with my amp to a place that has a cab ,and when i bought the head they would have to order one... i just need some owners feed back to help in my choice ... i play heavy music sevendust and black label society style ...thanks guys cc

The tone is the same. The difference is that the 4x12 will just be tons louder and will fill up the room much more. You'll feel the palm mutes more, as well. It's more of a feel and volume thing than it is tone.

If you plan to travel a lot, the 2x12 is a winner here. A 4x12 can weigh over 100lbs. You may think it's easy to transport now, but once you do it 3 or 4 times, it sucks.

Also, a 2x12 will have speaker breakup sooner than the stack. You really have to maximize the volumes on your amp though to breakup a 2x12, so this isn't anything major.

I have both... a 2x12 rec cab and a 4 x 12 rec cab... Both can push some weight... both sound really good... the 2x12 is easier to carry to gigs. Trust me... Plus the sound man is only mic'ing one speaker usually. I however like taking my 4x12 because it just looks tuff on stage, but that is only cosmetic and hell I could just as easily get away with the 2x12 and not have any problem either way. However, if there is a crappy sound man and he does not know his head from his back side then the 4x12 is the way to go because it will sound louder than the 2x12 simply because you are pushing more air. So you get a little more bang for the buck.

Now if you go on craigslist... most people will be selling Mesa 4x12's rec cabs for the same price as Mesa 2x12's just because they are a dime a dozen compared to the availability of 2x12's in the used market. Plus they are far more used than a 2x12 which is probably housed as a practice amp somewhere.

TexasFM3

Well not completly true, overall it will have the basic V30 sound, however the 4x12 will not have as much mid's because it has more eternal volume (air) then the 2x12. Usualy 2x12's are more middy, the traditional is a little less middy and the oversized is a bit scooped. You will defintly get more bottem end with the 4x12's.
Elpelotero said:
The tone is the same. The difference is that the 4x12 will just be tons louder and will fill up the room much more. You'll feel the palm mutes more, as well. It's more of a feel and volume thing than it is tone.

If you plan to travel a lot, the 2x12 is a winner here. A 4x12 can weigh over 100lbs. You may think it's easy to transport now, but once you do it 3 or 4 times, it sucks.

Also, a 2x12 will have speaker breakup sooner than the stack. You really have to maximize the volumes on your amp though to breakup a 2x12, so this isn't anything major.

Small thing to think about... If you get an oversized 2x12 cab there will be a little more punch than the std 2x12. I picked up an Egnater oversized ported 2x12, it also has a removable panel in the back so you can get the open back sound if you like. Taking it off the casters for good floor contact and the oversized thing give it a good bit of punchyness. It was $200 cheaper and a blatant copy of mesa construction. You could get two of the 2x12 cabs, one for each side of the stage and be golden......

Ive got a triple and originally used a 4X12 krankenstein cab(this cab kills with a recto.....very focused and chunky cab with crazy bass response). I loved it....but needed something more portable to putz around with, so i invested in a 2X12 avatar cab with V30's. Anymore.....the 212 is my go-to cab almost all the time. As far as a mix goes, and especially with the kinda music I play.....Im more satisfied NOT having the tremendous bass. I think I sit in the mix a bit better without all of it.... plus,.....its just waaay friggin easier to transport around! yeah i will tell you first hand....your definitely not going to have that same crushing, pants flapping effect.....but I got over it. And im happy having a setup thats more portable and easier to dial into a mix.

The 412 still has its place, but i really gotta have a good reason to break it out. sometimes i think about getting rid of it and eventually getting another 212 for those times when I want the kinda coverage a 412 provides. depends on what you like I suppose.

For me the 2x12 won because it fits in the front seat of my car and I don't have to play with a hernia! :lol:

I have a **** ton of cabs that I run in different configurations with my rectoverb. I get very useable, decent tones from my 212 Genz Benz G-flex (front ported), albeit a bit heavy in the low-mids. For a single 412, I'll run my vintage Ampeg V-4 with 2 Vin 30s, 2 Greenbacks. This is pretty much my go-to setup and gives perfect room sound that's good for micing. If I do get the rare opportunity to go full-stack, I'll throw my main cab on top of another V-4 loaded with Eminence Legends ... absolutely God-like sound with a perfect balance of frequencies that lets me really drive a 50-watt head without feedback.

My point? To brag about my gear! No, but seriously, the 212 will serve you fine, albeit a little underpowered bt comparison (this just means you get to drive those tubes more) and if you get a 412 eventually, hold onto the smaller cab. You might want the option of something lighter/quieter.

For most club gigs, the 2x12" should be more than enough, and it's a hell of a lot easier to transport. If you're going to be mic'ed, then it's a no-brainer in my book.

I've got a 1x12" 3/4 back, a Road King 2x12" and a Road King 4x12". The 2x12" sees most of the action these days. It's loud, and it's got serious balls to it.

The 4x12" still looks the coolest, though. :)

Back