Need answer fast! RK

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarek88

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm (probably) about to be a new member to the mesa family. OK before I say my dilemma let me say my background (musically..). OK, I own a Gibson Super 400 CES and a Les Paul (standard). Today, I mostly play jazz through my Fender all tube Twin Amp; great for jazzy stuff however not for other stuff. I also love meeting up with my friends and playing mostly rock, jamming and I love a good distortion (never with my super 400 though). So here I am, waiting to find a new amp that can deliver it all.. Perfect cleans with top of the line distortion... Just a note, I need an amp with EXCELLENT clean.. really TOP crystal clean. Carrying on, seems as if the road king series 2 delivers... However I heard the lonestar classic cleans are amazing too.. What should I get... They don't have a road king at the local store so ill be ordering. Will I get feedback with the RK head with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab with my super 400? If so, can I do anything to stop it? Lonestar- better, worse for me>? Thanks for reading need an answer fast because I found a good deal which is ending soon (couple of days)...

RK have the Lone Star clean circuit. SO if you are looking for pristine cleans and a quality distortion, i'd take the RK over the Lone Star.

I'll defer to others on running your fender and RK in stereo. I do know the RK cab has to C-90's open and 2 V-30's closed back. In theory, I'd run the Fender though the c-90 open side and the RK for the distortion through the closed back side.

Good luck.

yea,, what bout feedback? Any1? Any opinions? The more the better really so don't be hesitant.

Feedback can occur for so many different reasons, it's really impossible to predict what will happen with your particular setup. Anything from too much gain, high volumes, standing too close to the amp, facing your guitar toward the speakers, microphonic tubes, non-potted pickups, hollow bodied guitars, size/shape of the room, reflective surfaces in the room...the list goes on.

Assuming your concern is avoiding microphonic feedback (that horrible uncontrolled squealing when you stop playing), there are a few things you can do to keep it in check. Don't use excessive ammounts of gain or treble, make sure your pickups are wax potted, roll back the guitar vol or switch to a clean channel when you stop playing, or...

Use a noise-supressor, in front of the amp, in it's fx loop, or both. My favorite is the ISP Decimator, pedal version, in front of the amp. I can run my Triple-Rec at ear-splitting volumes, heavily distorted (amp gain sometimes as high as 2:00 plus a boost) and simply muting the strings with your hand results in dead silence. A bit of knob twisting will give you a setting which will eliminate unwanted feedback without killing sustain on clean passages.

To your original question, LS v. RK: the clean channel is the same in both. Versatility, tweakability, and that massive Recto-style distortion tips the scales to the RoadKing. The LS is easier to use, has less that can go wrong, and costs substantially less. It's your ears and your wallet, but if it were my decision I would take the RK.

Back