need advice from mark iii and iv users

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Punk

Reaction score
I have a marshall JMP, but I want another amp to explore new sounds. I am more a rhythm player, I do some leads once in a while, but nothing like metal shredding stuff.
I just need some directions based on these things:

1. I'd like to have a great clean channel, reverb is definitely a plus
2. is a mark iii without simul-class not desirable? should I wait until I find a simul-class? from what I read it's a big deal.
3. I read that the IV is more bedroom friendly, I do play a lot in my bedroom and I am concerned I can't get the III volume up enough
4. 2 channels is fine, 3 would be a surplus
5. since the jmp is a bit of a one trick pony, I want something versatile
6. if the III R channel is better than the IV I'd rather go for the III even if it sounds better at higher volumes.
7. is the EQ important to have or not? is it possible/easy to eventually add reverb? I don't like to have a lot of pedals.

how does the IIC+ stand between III and IV? is it less versatile compared to them? I really like the R channel of the IIC+ better than the IV

are there other things I should consider? unfortunately it's hard to find III and IV locally, even at guitar center. They only have rectos and stilettos. So I kinda need to choose based on clips and ppl suggestions.

thanks

Personally I like the III better than the IV. There is no doubt that the IV offers a little more versatility, but is more complicated. The III has some issues with balancing all 3 channels. But I figured out how to make it work for me. And then I did the volume 2 mod and made it even better as 3 channel amp.

I don't worry about how an amp sounds at bedroom volume, I want it to sound good at "performance" volume. Get another low wattage amp to practice in your bedroom.

As far as all of the features such as reverb, Simulclass, and EQ; they are all quite useful but not completely necesarry. The best bet is try and find a way to first play through the amp you buy.

personally, i prefer the simulclass over the single-stage - i think that is a must. i don't play that loud and like the earlier breakup while on the 15w/25w mode (depending on the "stripe"). i think it is more quiet that the 60/100 versions. if you want pristine cleans - the 60/100 will probably be cleaner louder in either mode than the 15/25 setting.

reverb was never an issue for me. GEQ is also a must IMO.

the stripe thing ... there is a difference, but unless you get 2 or 3 together with the exact tube setup, guitar, speakers, etc ... i don't know you can tell the difference. i can't really at a certain point.

the R2 mod on the MkIII ... is a good move.

I don't have a problem at all with my mark III at bedroom levels. I think it sounds really good at low volumes. A little trick I do is I run a G major in the loop and adjust volume down with that.. sounds great.

thanks guys. well, from the different stripes description. it seems that the blue and green have been improved further.

so the main difference with the IV is less versatility and options from what I understand. and more compressed sound.

The Mark IV can do pretty much anything. I think the III has (nominally) better cleans, but the IV beats it in my book. And you really can't argue with that versatility!

There's a lot of bad stuff written about the clean on the Mark IV but honestly, I really think it's awesome, but I will concede that it sounds absolutely rubbish if you scoop all the mids out and play at bedroom levels. So if you don't mind turning it up a little bit and use a sensible EQ (Hammett, I'm looking in your direction) then the clean is bitchen as well.

A Mark II would give you the badass lead sound AND the warm, delicious clean at any volume though.

Latest posts

Back