Need a pedal for my Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyber104

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I need a pedal that I can run with my Rectoverb on the clean channel that will get me into that middle territory between clean and all out high gain.

I tried a tube screamer and that isn't quite enough. I've tried a few digitech cheap stomp boxes like the "Hot Head", "Grunge" and "Screamin Blues" and they just sound awful.

I also tried a Wampler Triple Wreck and it really can't be "tamed" - it sounds very close to my channel 2 modern.

The sound I'm looking for is at the beginning of this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyvW975VhAQ

My son's Dual Rec can get this sound on channel 1 "pushed". My JSX head can get it on the "Crunch" channel with the gain backed off - but my favorite amp - my beloved RV head can't seem to get it.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

RV I or II?

Why don't you use the pushed channel? Set the Triple Wreck with little gain and adjust the amps gain vs the pedals output level. I find there's a relationship between pedal's gain, pedal's level and amps gain. I've explained a lot here http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=52293 and here (somewhat the same explanation but a little more clear) http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=49265

Also try the TS into the Triple Wreck into amp. Adjust settings between the two pedals. Try with little gain to start off with on both pedals but watch out for the output level of the TS pedal; you may clip the input stage of the Triple Wreck.

Do you have an EQ pedal? I find TS type pedals sound flat so I add an EQ pedal after it to beef it up a little tone wise. Also try an EQ in the Effects loop.

Try Raw mode on the amp.

Also don't be afraid to try unorthodox EQ settings. Try amp's treble, mid and bass at 8~9oclock and use the pedals EQ to compensate by boosting the tone controls up. It may sound crap... All I'm trying to say is experiment.... think outside the square in other words. With the Recto amps, you have to!

Other pedals I can suggest (I own them all, they all sound great, but I play a lot in Raw mode) but may not be what you want:
-Wampler Plextortion
-Wampler Pinnacle
-Marshall Drive Master (original black pedal)
-MI Audio Tube Zone and Crunch Box (these sounds great together - I just can't remember if I had the amp on clean or pushed mode!)

It's a Series 2 RV Head........

If you mean "pushed" on channel 1 - for some reason that setting always sounds awful and nasal - and I can't dial it out.

EQ is a good suggestion - thanks

This pedal seems like it might fit the bill but it's pricey:
http://www.wamplerpedals.com/signature/hot-wired.html

Thanks for the suggestions!
Chris

That tone shouldn't be particularly hard to achieve.

Try dialling your clean channel's gain up a bit higher so that it has a bit of clipping in it and hit it with the tubescreamer gain 0/level 7 or higher.

Alternatively, if you're still getting too much dirt off the TS try an MXR Micro Amp.

I agree that I could increase the gain on Channel 1 and probably get where I need to be - but - I'm trying to come up with a stomp box solution so that I can have 3 distinct sounds available.

1 - Clean (Mesa Channel 1)
2 - Crunch (Mesa Channel 1 + Stomp box)
3 - Hi-Gain (Mesa Channel 2 Modern)

So I need a stomp box that will help me achieve the sound in that youtube clip.

Thanks!
Chris

cyber104 said:
It's a Series 2 RV Head........

If you mean "pushed" on channel 1 - for some reason that setting always sounds awful and nasal - and I can't dial it out.

EQ is a good suggestion - thanks

This pedal seems like it might fit the bill but it's pricey:
http://www.wamplerpedals.com/signature/hot-wired.html

Thanks for the suggestions!
Chris

The pushed channel should give you what you want. It's 'kinda' ACDC-ish, a really good crunch rhythm sound. I'm pretty sure that this is the channel I used when I combined both the MI Audio Tube Zone and Crunch Box pedals together. The Tube Zone pedal has a lot of EQing possibilities (sounds a little bottom heavy so an EQ pedal can help here), maybe that's why I could get a top notch sound. A simple pedal with a tone control just sounds flat or nasally as you say. As mentioned before, the pedal's level and gain and amps gain all play a part in how they're set relative to each other.

Get an EQ pedal on board. You may find a good OD/Dist pedal that fundamentally sounds right in terms of it's drive/distortion but lacks the tone through your amp (it may be perfect for another amp, though). This is where the EQ pedal is priceless. Hook it up after the drive pedals.

FYI, I setup 3 EQ pedals. One out front and two in the loop. One EQ pedal is last in the effects chain in the loop to act as a solo boost.

This is an update, I have had the chance to compare bb preamp vs fulltone full drive 2 custom shop edition, the fulltone beats the bb preamp, it makes the amp sound fuller, there are more mids, it is really impressive, a very professional sound for both rhythm and lead lines.

I have checked lot of overdrives with my rectoverb series II, they all sucked compared to xotic bb preamp (od808 included), it is a must have for anyone owning this amp. I assure you you won't be disappointed!

Latest posts

Back