NCD! (Pine and Weber content!)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin801

Reaction score
So, this is kind of a newer development for me: from the time I first started buying serious guitar gear until now, all my amp choices have been fairly metal-approved; even if I didn't happen to be playing heavy music on them at the moment, it was always gear where I could if I wanted to. Rectos. Marks. An ENGL Fireball. And the same with speakers and cabs: a lot of V30s, G1275s, high-power Emis, and lots of oversized, closed-back or sealed cabs.

So, this is quite different for me: a Speakertone 2x12" with a Weber Blue Dog and a Weber Silver Bell. I'm totally digging it. A few observations, in bullet points since I'm too lazy to write more paragraphs:

- Great build quality on this thing. The back (convertible for open or closed) is ply, as is the baffle, and the rest is pine, with dadoed, finger jointed corners. The cool thing is that there are almost no screws grabbing wood directly anywhere on this cab. In fact, almost no wood screws at all; every (machine) screw goes into a threaded metal sleeve.

- All the familiar corksniffer tone terms apply here: chimey, warm, rich, three-dimensional, blah blah blah I hate myself. :lol:

- I brought it to band practice last night, and it sounded amazing with my Mark III. Bright, in a good, non-harsh way. Very punchy and "forward" sounding, especially compared with my co-guitarist's Fryette 100/CL and matching cab, which bring a lot of dry low-end grunt. I think this is going to become my main cab for this band.

- We're playing two shows this Saturday, both of which will be professionally filmed for Comcast on Demand, so once we get the footage back, I'll post clips unless I played like crap. :lol:

7011075555_4c9bd81bfc_z.jpg

6864957628_c2826e40d2_z.jpg

7011073543_a35cf3f0bd_z.jpg

7011085367_ac68c6783e_z.jpg

7011091099_2c12b9bd69_z.jpg

Nice ...

I have the alnico versions of your speakers. It goes great with EL84 equip guitar amps.

RR said:
I have the alnico versions of your speakers. It goes great with EL84 equip guitar amps.

I would love to try those one day, but they are quite a bit more expensive, with no guarantee that they would necessarily be better for my current application. But yeah, I bet they're amazing with an EL84 amp. :idea:

Nice cab. Be gentle with it. Pine is soft and dings if you look at it. If you don't gig it, should be fine.

CudBucket said:
Nice cab. Be gentle with it. Pine is soft and dings if you look at it. If you don't gig it, should be fine.

I'm the second user, and it already has a few dings in it. :lol:

I'll probably gig it from time to time, and I'm sure it will start to show; my other cab is spray-coated, has a metal grill, and is generally the most indestructible thing ever. It will take some getting used to having to be careful!

I think your Mark III sounds better with the ceramic version of the Weber combo Silver Bell & Blue Dog.

But when it comes to EL84 amps such as Maverick, Vox Night Train, Dr. Zs, the Silver Bell Blue Dog Alnico sounds great. Has this nice compression. EL84 amps have this top end bite that many don't like. SB & BD tames them.

But if you are using 6L6s, or EL34s for that matter, I thing the ceramic version sounds better.

Note: I played through many guitar speakers. I have many enclosures at home just for evaluation purpose. Boy speakers do make a different when evaluation guitar amplifiers. One speaker system may sound great with one amp, sounds not so great on another amp and visa-versa.

The Vox Night Train sounds great through Greenback & G12-30 Celestion (I think Matchless speaker combo), alnicos SB & BD, Tubby Tone (either ceramic or alnico) but not as good with Vintage 30s. And I find Vintage 30s kind of a neutral speaker or reference point for moderate to hi-gain amplifiers. They usually sound great to o-kay with these kind of amplifiers. In my opinion, they rarely sound 'not so good', always decent at worst.

Back