NAMM 2008 - Any rumors or exspectations?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilerty

Reaction score
We're about a month away from NAMM. Just wondering if anyone has heard about any new products or changes that might be announced by Mesa Boogie? What changes or new products do you hope they announce?

maybe a new Mark, as it's being discussed in some threads here... in fact the Mark I has just been discontinued

I was talking to Nick_cor about this earlier...

What would be cool would be a sort of limited run IIC+ reissue but with a few updates. Two independent channels with completely seperate controls. Each channel should have a "boost" function so channel one would be like slightly broken up clean and channel 2's boost would give it further saturation or possibly slightly modify the voicing to be more smooth and Mark IV(B)-like.

They should only offer this as a head and loaded... imbuya/wicker, simul-class, EQ, reverb. The catch is, it's gotta be 100% true to the original IIC+ so that it recieves little (if any) criticism. It'd be blasphemy to release a IIC+ reissue (enhanced or not) if it was inferior to the real thing. I don't think its impossible... the original transformers and other components might be no longer produced, this is true. However, with the current state of technology, I doubt they can't be reproduced with near-perfect accuracy.

This product should be priced around $3000, the current market value for original loaded IIC+'s. This would put Mesa back in the boutique market, an area in which I really think Mesa is currently lacking. However, that price would give them a competative edge at that price. Like Custom Audio Electronics (and Suhr) OD-100, it's priced significantly lower than Bogner, Soldano, and other makers who set their products at $4000 and higher.

visualrocker69 said:
This product should be priced around $3000, the current market value for original loaded IIC+'s. This would put Mesa back in the boutique market, an area in which I really think Mesa is currently lacking. However, that price would give them a competative edge at that price. Like Custom Audio Electronics (and Suhr) OD-100, it's priced significantly lower than Bogner, Soldano, and other makers who set their products at $4000 and higher.
$3000 would be ridiculous.
A new MarkIV head costs $1850 in the US but €2900 in the EU (that's a whopping $4260).
If I do the same deduction on your $3000 reissue MarkIIC+ it would amount to $6900 in the EU. :shock: That's commercial suicide.
For that amount of money I want a guy coming over to my house and build an amp completely to my specs, using all kinds of exotic woods, gold plated hardware and whatnot, while I watch him do it.

Like VisualRocker said, it'll put them back into boutique territory which is true. I look in these GC platinum catalogs and it's like, BOUTIQUE AMPS: Soldano, VHT, EVH (5150? the new one?), Diezel...I don't know how "boutique" the last 3 are at all. I don't consider them boutique in the slightest, at least not VHT and Diezel. As far as new Mesa Products, I've been thinking the Mark IIC+ reissue would be a cool idea. I've also thought about a 2-Ch Dual and Triple Rec. reissue, but only if they could get the gain the same again. Maybe they'll make a 100-watt 3-channel Express with Prog. Linkage. I just thought of that. I'm still dreaming of the Marktifier...

Pinweaver said:
A new MarkIV head costs $1850 in the US but €2900 in the EU (that's a whopping $4260).
If I do the same deduction on your $3000 reissue MarkIIC+ it would amount to $6900 in the EU. :shock: That's commercial suicide.
For that amount of money I want a guy coming over to my house and build an amp completely to my specs, using all kinds of exotic woods, gold plated hardware and whatnot, while I watch him do it.

That's an interesting point. In the EU, both Bogner Ecstasy and Soldano SLO-100 cost about 3500 Euros, so $5140. I guess they'd have to handle the price differently overseas. I mean Bogners and Soldano's are $4000-ish here, so... it's more expensive but not SUCH a big gap as with Mesa.

Any ideas?

I wish they would do a 3rd rk Version, with the Lonestar channels, and the Pre 500 channels.

The Best of Both Worlds!

Pinweaver said:
visualrocker69 said:

+1, I wouldn't subscribe to that...I'd say a price just below the Mark IV would be appropriate.

Heck when they resissued the Mark I...it was way below the Mark IV...and pricewise still lags behind it to date.

:x You don't seem to understand.

What I'm talking about is something really SPECIAL that Mesa would create for the boutique market... not just yet another normal mass-production line. It would make the company seem more... intimate, like back in the day before the recto popularity explosion.

visualrocker69 said:
:x You don't seem to understand.

What I'm talking about is something really SPECIAL that Mesa would create for the boutique market... not just yet another normal mass-production line. It would make the company seem more... intimate, like back in the day before the recto popularity explosion.

But then you're not looking for a true 100% spec for spec (where available) IIC+....if that's the case, Mesa will tell you that -- that's what the Mark Iv is there for , IIC+ tones and beyond...or the Traixis.

I want an original spec for spec reissue of the IIC+ -- with its flaws and all.

JAZZGEAR said:
visualrocker69 said:
But then you're not looking for a true 100% spec for spec (where available) IIC+....if that's the case, Mesa will tell you that -- that's what the Mark Iv is there for , IIC+ tones and beyond...or the Traixis.

Well, that's what I thought, but apparently IIC+ owners here can easily tell them apart in a full band mix :roll:

visualrocker69 said:
JAZZGEAR said:
visualrocker69 said:

Well, that's what I thought, but apparently IIC+ owners here can easily tell them apart in a full band mix :roll:

While I've never owned the IIC+, I have had both the Mark IV and the Triaxis at the same time...and I swear, when paired with the 2:90 amp I could not tell apart the Triaxis (Mark IV modes) from the real thing...and neither could any of my band members, so take it for what it's worth.

Getting back to the thread...... are there any rumors out there ? Not wish lists or fantasy amps........ but actual possibility of Mesa announcing anything new on the product line this year ?

JAZZGEAR said:
While I've never owned the IIC+, I have had both the Mark IV and the Triaxis at the same time...and I swear, when paired with the 2:90 amp I could not tell apart the Triaxis (Mark IV modes) from the real thing...and neither could any of my band members, so take it for what it's worth.

Could you give me your settings for both, please? :eek:

BTW - What do you mean by Mark IV modes? As far as I know, Lead 2 green = mid gain lead, yellow = iic+ lead, red = mark iii, right?

I talked to Mesa a couple months back and asked them what they had new coming out and if they would be reissuing the Mark IIC+. He said he couldn't say what was coming out, just to keep checking the website and watch for NAMM. He also told me that there are ABSOLUTELY no plans to reissue a Mark II, at least for now. My guess, we'll either see the Mark V, or is there is a reissue, I can see the Strategy 400 coming back, or maybe even the next "future" metal amp. Who knows, whatever comes out will be great!!!

Nick Guppy said:
WILL THERE EVER BE A MARK V?

Randall Smith said:
“Yes, there will probably be a Mark V… but not for a long time. And it will probably sound just like the Mark IV but with a simpler control layout. It’s not next on my palette because the Mark IV is still going strong after 12 or 13 years. But who knows? By the time that bad boy comes around, anything could happen!”

Hmmmm.

Something like a Mark IV with a simplified control layout... sounds like my enhanced IIC+ reissue idea fits :shock:

Anyway, the Man said it won't happen for a while.

I'm going to NAMM this year. A Good Friend at Dino Rock was able to get me a pass. I've always wanted to attend. At the age of 53 I will finally be there. You can bet I'll be checking out the Mesa Booth and talking to as many people there as I can.
I'm arriving on Wednesday and will be at the show on Thurs., Fri., and Saturday. I'm leaving Sunday morning to beat the Sunday evening Airport rush.
About 6 of us from the Dino forum will be meeting up there. I've shared thoughts and goals with these fellows for years and will finally get to meet them. I am very, very excited. You really can get to know and care about people from forum participation, but, you still wish you could meet them in person. Finally.......I will.
I'm new at the Boogie Board, but, if there's something special you would like me to check out I'd be more than glad to do so. I figure on 3 days of taking notes during the day and having some fun at night.
I haven't been aboard a plane in over thirty years so you should be able to tell how important this is to me.
If any of you will also be there I'd be very happy to meet you too.

Rick

Latest posts

Back