NAD approaching...cab advice please.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_too

Reaction score
Maybe Monday, all being well - brand shiny new Lonestar Classic head :)

Hope it's all I expect after a couple of months' research and general lurking around these here pages. Got the chance to try one very briefly at the Frankfurt show last week in less than ideal conditions (right next to the Meinl cymbal stand...) but still got a feel for the supreme cleans. Have a feeling that channel 2 will take a little more deciphering, but I can think of worse ways to spend my time!

I'm lucky enough to have a few different cabs at my disposal to try it out with, from Jensen equipped 1x12" through Egnater oversized 2x12" (Celestion Elite 80s) to full on Hiwatt 4x12" savagery. However, I'm trying to decide on a portable, big sounding cab that the head will fit on - I'm leaning towards a Mesa 1x12" widebody closed back C90 but any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

I'll let you all know how we get on...

rob_too said:
Maybe Monday, all being well - brand shiny new Lonestar Classic head :)

I'm leaning towards a Mesa 1x12" widebody closed back C90
That's all a man could ask for. :D I like it.

Ah well, no amp yesterday but it has apparently now been dispatched from the supplier so should arrive in my store tomorrow or Thursday.

Patience is a virtue - unfortunately I don't have much of it... ;)

rob_too said:
Ah well, no amp yesterday but it has apparently now been dispatched from the supplier so should arrive in my store tomorrow or Thursday.

Patience is a virtue - unfortunately I don't have much of it... ;)

I feel you pain man..

It's the hardest part, right?

Cabinets: it really depends on what you're after. I think the amp shines with a good open back cab, especially something like the Lonestar widebody 1x12 (which I have and love), or the widebody 1x12 (http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/COMPACTcabs/WidebodyOB-1x12-LG.htm). But a good closed back cab will really thump with the LSC too, so it's hard to make a wrong choice... just depends on your needs, really. The Thiele is a great cab too, maybe not wide enough for a full-sized head -- but -- it's a great cab, very compact and powerful.

I have both Widebody series cabs (closed back/ported 1x12 and the open back 1x12).

Of the two I'd recommend the open back, however both still suffer from the "boxy" sound that small Mesa combos are known for.

If you're after a 1x12 I'd recommend the Atlantic Series 1x12. It's a 27 inch wide rear ported cab. It's deeper and fuller sounding than the Widebody series cabs.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RoyalAtlanticCABS/RA1x12-27-LG.htm

Oki coki peeps - update time...it's here!

First of all, thanks for your cab advice, and of course your support during the difficult waiting period ;)

First impressions are mighty impressive - the 100w clean tones on channel 1 are epic...they live up to the hype and then some. Starting to get to grips with channel 2...I'm after a solid crunch rock rhythm/blues tone without too much gain that I can boost with an OCD when necessary - any settings suggestions welcome, I'm getting most joy from 10w settings at the moment with the gain at about 12 and the drive about 10 to thicken things up a little.

Cab-wise, I found the Hiwatt 4x12" impressive for obvious reasons but it's totally impractical for my needs. The Egnater 2x12" closed back is a bit woofly on channel 2 - it has a removable bit to turn it into a 3/4-esque which might help but I've not tried that yet. All-in-all I'm preferring my two 1x12" Jensen-loaded open-back cabs together (one with an AlNiCo and one ceramic) - seems to calm the huge bass and brings the top end out really well.

The beginning of a long and happy relationship I think - the only down side is that I don't get to exercise it at gig volumes until next month...more patience required :)

Glad you are liking your LSC. Definitely worth the wait. There are some great tones in there!

I've finally got mine dialed in, and am digging it immensely.

I had a 1x12 cab made for me that I'm finding perfect as well. It's a 24" wide x 12" deep x 20" high, "convertible" back. (made by Stage Craft Gear). I can remove a panel for semi-open or leave it closed.

So far, the perfect combo is semi-open with a high-powered G1265-type speaker. (I'm thinking a C90 or CL80 would work too)

Next up is getting the 2x12 situated with the right speaker mix. I'm going to try a CL80 with a full-range speaker from ASW.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Latest posts

Back