N.A.S. and a couple of questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfnguitarz

Reaction score
New Amp Syndrome! Just got my Mark V and a Recto 2x12 Vertical Slant over the weekend. Everything sounds fresh and different as compared to my old TSL602! Hopefully the honeymoon will last a long time. The Strats sound amazing with this amp, so much more articulation than the Marshall, at least, that is the way it sounds to me. It's so easy to disappear down a rabbit hole tweaking this thing. Sooo many sounds to explore - need to spend more time actually playing!
Questions:
1) The cab says 8ohm on the back. Based on what I have read, this means there are two 16 ohm v30's in there and I should connect the cab to the 8ohm jack on the MV?? I have always played combos and never really had to deal with this before.
2) Edge mode - what is this patterned after? Turning the gain down gets a really interesting clean sound....almost Vox'ish? Dunno, but there is something intriguing in there if you spend some time.

High gain is where I have the least experience dialing in, but I was able to get a close approximation of some Foo Fighter sounds after just a few minutes tweaking. Like most good amps, this thing doesn't really begin to show it's true personality until you apply some volume to it.

I have the exact same cab.

1) Yes, use the 8 ohn jack. The 4 ohm jacks would be used if you were using 2 8ohm cabs, thus bringing the total to 4.

2) To me Edge is very voxy and Crunch is like a JCM 800 (neither are exact, but both sound great to me). The manual does suggest using edge as an alternative clean channel, but I prefer my cleans CLEAN, so I use edge for med gain.

golfnguitarz said:
2) Edge mode - what is this patterned after? Turning the gain down gets a really interesting clean sound....almost Vox'ish? Dunno, but there is something intriguing in there if you spend some time.

Yeah,

I don't know where I am with this channel mode yet. I like it, but less so than the Crunch and Mark I mode on the
same channel. I was able to coax a "Middle of the Road" Pretenders tone out of it with a tele though. Worth
experimenting with but I'm liking the Crunch mode more so I'm leaving the cleanish stuff for channel 1.

Birdy said:
You guys got any pics of the head/ 2x12 cab ?

Not with me. But if you cruise through the "Post your rig, must include the Mark V" thread, there are several in there. Here's one on page 6, but it isn't the only pic: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=38801&start=75. You may have to scroll a bit.

Basically looks like the Mark V head was made for this cab. Very cool look IMO and so far it sounds great.

photo1.jpg

theroan said:

Did you order/buy the cab with the Mesa/Boogie logo on it ? If not, did you have any problems
installing it or lining up mounting holes ? Where did you buy the logo and how much ?
Looks good man !

theroan said:
I have the exact same cab.

1) Yes, use the 8 ohn jack. The 4 ohm jacks would be used if you were using 2 8ohm cabs, thus bringing the total to 4.

2) To me Edge is very voxy and Crunch is like a JCM 800 (neither are exact, but both sound great to me). The manual does suggest using edge as an alternative clean channel, but I prefer my cleans CLEAN, so I use edge for med gain.

MAn... I have been using one mark V amp at 8 ohm plugged into two 8 ohm cabs. Only problem is in between i have the 8 ohm hotplate. I thought that the other output of the hotplate would be 8 ohm as well. thats how stupid i am. YOu made me look into the manual of the hotplate. it is wired in parallel

So that was NOT a safe mismatch. Considering the other output will not be 8 ohm as well. Gladly i havent used the amp much (changing rehearsal room soundproofing treating etc not much time).

Thank you Theoran..

EDIT: forgot to say that even though it says in the manual of the mark V that its not highly sensitive to msimatch, i heard some popping, or wait more like crackling last time. So i suspect a tube. But then again it might have damaged it or it might just be a coincidence. Didnt have much time to check it out, but i THINK it was only there when the loop was turned on. Ill fix all that **** next time and check it out lol

Thanks again
PS: sorry for hijacking..

Read your manuals on matching cabs up guys, its all in there, we dont want any fried fives do we!! :lol:

Not really looked at the edge mode yet, cant get past the crunch and mark 1 modes on that channel, very nice!

sted said:
Read your manuals on matching cabs up guys, its all in there, we dont want any fried fives do we!! :lol:

Not really looked at the edge mode yet, cant get past the crunch and mark 1 modes on that channel, very nice!

LOL ironically the manual i should have read was that of the hotplate...!

Yea same thing here when it comes to edge.

Later!

Latest posts

Back