My Roadking II head review.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan28

Reaction score
I have had my RKII now for a month and after endless playing, adjusting and gigging here is my review. Im going to compare this head to the triple rec, because that was the amp I owned and played on before I got the roadking. Before my triple I had a single rec rectoverb. My experience with mesa boogie amps is about 3-4 years.

As soon as you see the Roadking series II head you will notice its bigger than anything in the rec line, it also has a pc fan that fires up and blows on a transformer. Everybody already knows the features of this amp.

Channel 1: This channel is voiced for the 6l6. This channel is trully the ballad channel, the cleans are incredible. It took me about 2 seconds to get a better clean than what I got out of my triple rec.

Channel 2: This channel is voiced for the el34. This channel is m favorite for cleans. Its warmer than channel one. One of the things I noticed is how the reverb responds differently with different tube settings. You can also flip it to brit and get some really killer old rock sounds.

Channel 3: This is the same channel as channel 2 on the rec series, but with the ability to pick the type of power tubes you want to run as well as reverb.

Channel 4: This is the same as channel 3 on the rec series, with the added ability to pick your power tubes and the reverb. The one thing I noticed about the high gain channels is that the "sizzle" that alot people complain about being in the rec series is gone. I had the sizzle in my triple and single rec, this amp does not have the sizzle. This amp is quiet, I used to use a noise gate with my triple, but I have no need for one now.
I use channel 4 modern for almost all of my heavy rhythms, I run 2 x 6l6 and 2 x el34 on this channel, I absolutely love the sound.

Conclusion: I always felt a little ripped that i spent that much on my triple rec and it didnt have reverb or even a good clean channel. The triple rec's clean could have been good if i would have shaped it with pedals, but i didnt want to do that. This amp is amazing. I have to say that now since the Roadster and the Roadking are out, there is no use at all for the dual and triple recs. The roadster and the Roadking are better amps, and are better for the money. Thanks for reading this long post. If you guys have any questions post them.
rock out guys!!!

I really like my recto, but the idea of a recto without that sizzle......man I need to scrap together some more cash!

How is the bottom end compared to the rectos. Is it any tighter or clearer?

Its about the same when i have it set on 4 6l6, just no sizzle, and since the sizzle is gone it does seem to be more tighter, but its not, its just that the sizzle is gone and you notice your tone more. But I usually always run my high gain settings with 2 x 6l6 and 2 x el34, the el34's seem to add more mid which seems to tighten up the sound. Its fuller sounding with the mixture of tubes to my ears, than running just 6l6's. When I run all the power tubes 4 x 6l6 and 2 x el34 the el34's make less of a difference. The sizzle that everyone talks about, i think the 6l6 is what produces it, i havent heard anyone say that with el34's they hear the sizzle. You might just want to look into some different 6l6 tubes rather than what mesa offers. When I had my triple I backed off my gutiars tone just little bit and that narrowed down the sizzle alot.

Thanks for the great review - you have a shedload of great amps - methinks you like Rectifiers...

Interesting point about the noise gate - I used to have Cornford amps and I needed a noise gate but now I've switched to Mesa LSC and Stiletto Ace I've been able to get rid of it - one less pedal and a lot more tone!

I need to change my profile, I traded in my triple rec for the Roadking. I love mesa amps, the one thing that i love about mesa amps is that it is a instrument, learning how to use it and what the settings do is an art. I would have never learned as much about it if it wasnt for this forum. Man there are some brilliant ppl on here.

Nathan28
You're so right about using the amp as an instrument. I don't know many other amps that respond so much to changes in the controls as Mesa's do...whilst that may discourage the casual plug n play crowd, it does mean that if you spend the time, you'll get great tone.

Nice review! My RK II head should be here in mid to late January 8)

Back