My Red Str. Coliseum Mk.III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little-b

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my red str. coli. back from a complete go over at mesa, and man, this thing just sings, shreds, wails,purrs,and just plain rips! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Mike B. did a fantastic job at servicing it...For a 25-30 yr. old amp, this thing will easily hang w/ my diezel herbert or vh4...I really like the way the Mesas' lead tones are,and the 2nd ch.is very usefull w/ the r-2 mod...this Coli is way addictive!

Killer, man! A red stripe Coli no less. Must be out of control at your residence. :lol:
There's nothing like the sound of these amps. I'm on my red stripe at least 3-4hrs a day. So many sweet tones in a little box.

What kind of tubes (both pre and power) are you running in that Coli? Did Mesa just replace them?

~Nep~

Ya,L.O.L.!...its loud at my residence at the moment!...They are all new boogie tubes..nothing special, but they do sound sweet...I just have to laugh when i think of how this amp stacks up to everything out there currently...and i havent tried it yet w/ humb. guitars, so far only teles,but it screams with my tele anyways..Mike b. at Boogie really got this thing sounding great..

Awesome, man! Congrats!
They can definitely keep up (and outshine!) alot of these amps today, that's for sure.
Be careful..and try not to nuke your house from the inside out. :lol:

~Nep~

L.O.L. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll wear a radiation suit while i play it!....Im in a situation where I can get this puppy turned up, and WOW!...lookout...Godzilla is coming!

Hahaha! You said radiation suit. :lol: :lol:

Now I feel like I need to draw that concept up on a piece of paper.
smiley-laughing012.gif

~Nep~

coliseums are so badass, i have a blue stripe coli with all options. heres my first clip of it
http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=user&value=holydiver

Compared to the normal iii, the difference is quite noticable. Moreso than I expected. They are fucking BADASS man, enjoy

The main difference is they are 180 watts on full power (6x6L6), 150 watts with simul 4x6L6-2xEL34. The headroom is crazy, the low end is out of control (in a good way). They weigh a ton! The tone is incredible, they only made around 78 of the III's? These amps are so loud you can't believe it! Did I say tone? These amps have a "feel" that no other amp has that I've ever played, meaning when you play it, you feel the tone, not just hear it. Headroom is lovely too. I have rarely turned it up past 2 on the master, too scary! Jam with another guitarist in a band, went through 2 amps before he finally bought a 2 channel Triple Rec, he tries to keep up with me..... :lol:

180 WATTS???? Who the hell needs that amount of power? My red stripe Mark III is RIDICULOUSLY LOUD on FIFTY watts, never mind ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY watts! LOL!

I NEED IT!! I'm totally addicted to it. Nothing else compares to it that I've ever played. I'ts bragging rights as well :D . I can always use the half power, but it doesn't get used. Maybe I should look into a radiation suit!! Melting faces everywhere :lol:

BMcNibbnles said:
180 WATTS???? Who the hell needs that amount of power? My red stripe Mark III is RIDICULOUSLY LOUD on FIFTY watts, never mind ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY watts! LOL!

180 watts is only twice as loud as 18 watts(in decibels). The main difference of the coliseum Mark III's is the insane amount of clean headroom that is available.

Yeah, I understand about the headroom. It's just that the Mark III (the regular one), at least mine, doesn't seem to need headroom. I can get an amazing sound at any volume I want. Really soft, cranked, in the middle.... it all sounds great. But, like someone said - bragging rights. LOL

I can get an amazing sound at any volume as well, but I have more headroom, whether I need it or not! I play in a metal band, never know when that headroom is going to be needed. The tone is lovely and fat, very deep, the kind you can feel and not just hear. Looking into a Mills Acoustics afterburner cab, 800 watts with classic EV 12L's, or maybe the Zakk Wydle 1200 watt cab.

Back