My power tubes always rattle.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
What power tubes do you guys use in your combos?

In my DC-5, I have Winged C's from Doug's Tubes. They rattled the day I put them in.

In my DC-10, I have Winged C's from Antique Electronics. They rattle, but not as much as the DC-5's tubes.

I've tried everything, JJ's, Mesa's. They all seem to rattle.

:lol: You know, I keep forgetting about these because I don't know anybody who uses them.

I just might bite the bullet and get a set to see if they work. Wish I had a supplier who carried high temp O-rings, I could just cut out the expensive middle man.

I have never tried those dampers,but when a power tube rattles it is the internal parts rattling because they are loose.I dont see how putting rubber on the glass will have much effect on the internals.

stokes said:
I have never tried those dampers,but when a power tube rattles it is the internal parts rattling because they are loose.I dont see how putting rubber on the glass will have much effect on the internals.

big ups here. :idea:

I've always been pretty skeptical too. But, I bought a set. It was only $9. If they don't work, I'll just leave negative feedback and move on.

I go back and forth about heads vs. combos. I really like the convenience of a combo. Try finding a head cab for a DC-10 too! :lol: Might as well be looking for 40 virgins! :lol:

We'll see what happens when they get here.

Well, at least now you don't have to buy any maracas.
But seriously, folks, I'm betting the current state of tube QA is for sh!t. My 1990 combo has never had this problem of vibrating tubes to death. It's been played loud enough to break speakers, too. Well, one, anyway.
Must be dumb luck.
The best reason to have a head is that it keeps your brain fluid from making a mess on the floor.

MrMarkIII said:
Well, at least now you don't have to buy any maracas.
But seriously, folks, I'm betting the current state of tube QA is for sh!t. My 1990 combo has never had this problem of vibrating tubes to death. It's been played loud enough to break speakers, too. Well, one, anyway.
Must be dumb luck.
The best reason to have a head is that it keeps your brain fluid from making a mess on the floor.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think you're right. I do have a bias pot installed, so maybe I'll just bite the bullet and try some Mesa tubes if the snake oil doesn't work.

That's interesting, Monsta. I've never had rattle from my Winged Cs or the Mesas tubes. Most of the time, I am at very conservative volumes (unfortunately ;) ), and so I would hear rattle ...which drove me nuts in a Carvin I had yeeeeaaars back), so I know exactly what it is. Maybe you just have marginal SEDs? Maybe your DCs chassis is cranked down too tightly and crushing the SUS-4 rubber washers?? Dunno, but worth a try perhaps to check the mounting?

Edward

I have the chassis straps on mine, no SUS 4.

It's funny you would say "Marginal." Doug emphatically stated that his tubes were so much better than Bob's at Eurotubes, but the Euro's did not rattle like the "C"s do.

It's really a bummer. I can't hear it with the band, but at home, it is definitely there.

Come to think of it, I do have SUS-4, so maybe that really does help in combos.
My mileage has apparently varied.

I never thought about it, but my DC-3 was in a hardwood cab for a while with SUS 4. The kids playing on the wood too much, so I sold the cab and got a standard cab.

I never had a problem with tube rattle until then.

I guess it's another good idea that wasn't cost effective, so it went away.

I didn't know the DC5 came with regular chassis straps ...thought all the DC combos (and other amps of that era) had the sus4. Hmmm.

FWIW, I've always had great experience with Mike at KCA NOSTubes
http://www.kcanostubes.com
Mike is a great resource, really knows his stuff, and supports his product well. Nothing but very good experience from my end ...if that helps any. But maybe it's the chassis' fault, who knows?? :)

Edward

In 40 years,the only time I've experienced tube rattle had nothing to do with a combo.They were current production Svetlanas and Sovteks and they rattled from day one,didnt have to be shook up in a combo.They just make them like **** nowadays.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking.

Might just have to bite the bullet and get some NOS tubes.

I know that Mike is very well spoken of. I even called him once. He got shitty with me because I wanted tubes for a Mesa. Sort of struck me as a Vintage Nazi. Oh well, guess my amp is more important than my pride.

As for the SUS 4, that is interesting. You must have gotten one of the early ones. I think I remember you saying that you bought it new, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ahhh, your Winged Cs are current production?? Well that may be part or all of the problem ...maybe in conjunction with no sus4?? I didn't buy mine new, (though have had it for nearly 10 years now), and she is one of the "A" prod units with the LEDs and metal toggles.

FWIW, I have the NOS Winged-Cs in my DC5 for some time and they still sound awesome! Liked them so much, in fact, I got another pair for my MKIII Simul when I got it (again, from Mike at KCA). Mike really isn't a tube nazi IMHO. He actually does recommend a few current prod tubes ...the TungSol RI 12ax7s are great as one example. But he definitely has a strong opinion about certain tubes :)
He knows his stuff and hasn't been wrong in so far that I've had dealings with him, anyway. If you end up solving the rattle, let us know, would ya?

Edward

Thanks Edward.

Mine is the A version with LED's and metal switches too. Although, it has been modded into a B version on the clean channel for more headroom.

Very under rated amp in my opinion.

As for the rattle, I will definitely be giving Mike a call if the dampers don't do the trick. I'm pretty skeptical about them, but you never know.

Hello Monsta,

In my past DC-5 combo I had new production winged C's as I have in my DC-10 head and haven't experianced any rattle at all. Do you play insainly loud? When my wife was out of the house I cranked my DC-10 with master on 7 and level on about 5-6. My head, one with the ears, was vibrating so much that it was hard to see exactly the settings :lol: Though there wasn't any tube rattle everything else near by was vibrating. I also felt some liquid come loose from my ear canal. Probably cause further hearing damage but **** it sounded good.

Latest posts

Back