My New Tremoverb head is here!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
Well, new to me.......... I traded my Triple Recto for this baby!! I can tell why people say the 2 channel rectos are the "holy grail" of the rectifiers, this thing sings! I like the clean channel better too, you can go from total clean to the "Pushed" setting on the newer rectos by turning the gain knob. And the Heavy channel is the regular recto sound but warmer and more dynamic than my triple recto was. Now I just have to mod that FX loop to be a series loop and I'll be set.

I think it's a '95 head.

tverb2en.jpg

Nice Tremoverb tele_jas

I got my Tremoverb head back in February and I am also running it through a 2x12 Gflex. This is my first Boogie so I can not compare it to any other Boogies, but I have had a 5150II, H&K Triamp, and Laney VH100R in the past. I have just recently been starting to really get this thing dialed in and I am loving it more and more every time I play through it. I swapped out the JJ 6L6s I originally put in it with a quad of Ruby EL34s. Took a bit of tweaking to Eq it correctly for the different tubes and I am digging it now. I would like to try it with different cabs though.

Anyway, you mentioned modifying the FX loop....just wondering what is involved with that and what the tone difference is between Parallel and Series. My GT-8 should be arriving today and I am going to try to run it via the 4 Cable Method through the FX loop so I can bypass the Boogies preamp if I choose to. I have been reading that it may not work as well with a Parallel loop though and I would like to understand why this is a little better....maybe modify mine as well as needed.

Thanks and have fun with the Tremoverb!

Pete

For the modification it's just moving a couple of wires and replacing one of the fx loop jacks. I have the schematics from Boogie if you want them just drop me an email and I'll email them to you. A local amp tech looked at the schematics and said it would take him about 5 minutes to do it and cost about $50. I'm still debating on weither or not to get that done, I'll probably try it without modding it first but I will always have that option open.

a parallel loop splits the signal in to 2 paths, one is a dry signal that goes to the power amp and the other goes through the fX processer then to the power amp...... so what you hear is the combination of the two sounds, therefore you cannot use any modulation fx in the loop (chorus, phayse, flange, or an EQ or compression, ect...) only time based FX such as delay and reverb work really well in the parallel loop. So if thats all you plan on using you should be ok

A series loop sends the entrire signal through the fx loop and then to the power amp, most all effects sound good this way and some times better.

The advantage of the parallel vs the serial is the parallel loop is supposed to be the purist un-moddified sound you can have, the series gets degraded a bit running through a processer (or 2 or 3) and therefore you don't get the 100% best tone possible..... But in most cases you can't tell the difference in tone when running in a series loop, but for recording is where you'd be able to tell the difference.

I hope this helps you out?? I've just learned the difference a couple of months ago so I'm not sure I should be explaining it :lol:

Yes, that does help me!! Thanks for the info!

Not sure if you know anything about the Boss GT-8 or not. It has an effect loop on it and also has the ability to place any effect, preamp or loop anywhere in the signal chain. There is a way to set it up with the 4 Cable Method so that you can either use the Boogie preamp or actually bypass it and send only the GT-8s preamp models to the power amp section of the Boogie. But also, because of the ability to change the order of effects in the chain....I am thinking I should be able to put the modulation type effects before the preamp of the Boogie while keeping the time based stuff after it.
If I am understanding this right....it works best to send a modulated signal to the preamp to hit the gain structures instead of modulating an already distorted signal.
I guess I will have to experiment and see what happens. With the parallel loop at 100% does it become more like a Series Loop?
I will email you from my home PC later for the modification schematics just in case I choose to do that.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back