My Mesa Dream Amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbird

Reaction score
All this mumbo jumbo about Mesa's new amps got me wishing! Wishing they'd abandon all these channel switching monsters for a minute and come up with one of those one channel wonders! No F/X Loops! Just clean to scream with a twirl of a guitar's volume knob! I'm talking Lonestar clean to Modern Recto in one channel! Can it be done? I think so! Discuss...

jbird said:
All this mumbo jumbo about Mesa's new amps got me wishing! Wishing they'd abandon all these channel switching monsters for a minute and come up with one of those one channel wonders! No F/X Loops! Just clean to scream with a twirl of a guitar's volume knob! I'm talking Lonestar clean to Modern Recto in one channel! Can it be done? I think so! Discuss...

One channel would be cool, and it's been done before.

As for the matter of no fx loops, why? There is no adverse affect to having an effect loop.

I don't know if that'd go over too good now-a-days with the need for more than one sound? It'd probably be good in a recording studio, but not for a live amp IMO. It might also be good for those old school blues players or country players, but not the new school players.

Thats just my opinion, why hae one great channel when you can have 2, 3 or even 4 great channels in one amp?

I used to be a firm believer in the 1 channel, clean to scream....but then I got the Road King Combo. Sorry, Jbird...once I got this beast, I had everything I ever wanted in an amp. While the "one channel wonder" may have it's place, it's the RK Combo for RB.

RB

I think that would be a total money losing amp because its going to really only target one type of person. Why not toss in a second channel and open it up to that many more people.

Check out the clips Jbird mentions in his thread re. the VHT Deliverence.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=17742#17742

http://www.vhtamp.com/

also see the Soldano Avenger.

I talked to mesa about having them custom build me something like this, but from the sounds of things Id probably have to get into all sorts of arguments with Smith over design policy and what not.

features I wanted

single ch w/ traditional recto voicing
no fx loop
adjustable bias
solidstate rectifier
low end sweep knob
and a few other things I forgot about already...

point is I think they wanted to kill by the time I reached adjustable bias.

my buds avenger can get a nice dual recto-esq growl if you raise the depth but its less compressed giving it that modded marshall feel to it still. it also depends alot on the pickups though.

dylan7620 said:
my buds avenger can get a nice dual recto-esq growl if you raise the depth but its less compressed giving it that modded marshall feel to it still. it also depends alot on the pickups though.

also depends on what tubes he has running in his avenger! Considering most of em ship with El34s.

he's got 6L6s in there, adding a litle to the low end growl i was talking about. anyway, it rocks. he's selling it pretty soon. its got the better tranny in it (he said thats like $500 extra) its got a super low production number in the 100s and has the heatsync grill. i think we're gonna keep it around for a little while anyway, we're recording and i'm sure it will come in handy :wink:

Back