My guitars

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Barchetta

Reaction score
Just testing out posting photos. Here are my guitars. Every one of them is played on stage. Most equipped with Moody Leather Straps.

Left to Right: 2003 Taylor 710ce limited (new old stock), 1991 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1971 Gibson SG (The one that the Angus Young Model is based on), 1991 Fender American Standard Strat (with Lindy Fralin Blues Specials and a "Tele" mod), 2005 Yamaha SA2200 semi-hollow, 1964 or 65 Gibson Melody Maker. Hope you like them...questions or comments welcome.

http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sguitarcollection4fo.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2greatgibsons6rd.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=closeupofstratandyamaha3di.jpg

Just a question... Those are some sweet guitars. But, which one is your "go to" guitar?
I'm a Les Paul guy really, although I do have a strat for obvious reasons. Then I got an RG520QS to fulfill that genre...
But, I have been feeling the urge to drop the RG, and get something else..
What role does the SG and the 335 play to you??
The 335 appeals to me, as does YOUR SG.
Or I may sell the strat and RG and get a really "great" strat....
Just pondering the notions....
ax. 8)

BTW, How's the choral/flange??? I find my delay and flanger on all the time, even if subtle....

My "go to"...really my main axe is the Les Paul. The Strat comes in on a couple of songs, but actually not that many. The other guitarist in our band plays a strat 75% of the time, so I usually play the Les Paul. I pull out that 335 style when we play something that calls for that tone...Steely Dan for instance...but anything fat, sweet, and mellow. The SG has a tone thats right between the darkness of the Les Paul, and the brightness of the Strat.

This part will make you sick...the SG was actually a GIFT from a good friend. He was the original owner.

As far as you selling your Strat...even as awesome as I think mine is...after adding the Fralins...a Strat will still only give you a couple of basic tones....sweet as they may be. However, nothing fills that niche like a Strat.

If you really want tonal versatility, and a basic tone that is removed from your other guitars...consider a 335, or as in my case, an SA2200. Mine also has coil taps on the p-ups, so you can get that P90 sound too. Very cool.

You and I have similar tastes as far as being Les Paul guys...great tone with a Boogie, if you ask me.

The Choralflange is great. It can do the TC Electronics chorus thing, but also do the old vintage Boss stuff too. Better than any other boutique pedal I've heard. And the flange on it is awesome. I was never able to get a useable tone out of the TC's flange...but this one is much more musical to my ears.

Very happy with that purchase.

I hope I answered all your questions....Les Paul, Baby...Les Paul....the others are for the colors I can't get with ol' reliable.

RB

Cool, thanks.. Yeah, the strat to me is a tool. I have played a few great strats, and they were excellent.. Mine is , ok.
The Les Paul is certainly my main fiddle, and supports my style of playing, which is a Slash, Page, Perry type style...(not as good tho)
The RG was just to get back to the stuff I did years ago, and I was a little nostalgic for my RG770... It's got alot of tones in it, but that Floyd just doesn't fit my playing style anymore. I still have my ol' Charvel when I want to diddle around, so the RG may go.
It's a sweet axe though, and like new....
But the 335 is really something I should look into...I haven't played one in ages, but think the versatility would be good , and match my style of playing...
Thanks for the info....
ax. 8)

Just went to a very well stocked music store to pick up some tubes, and decided to try out a 335.. Actually a few...
The first was a red one/dot markers... Really cool tones in that one..Great with the JTM45 and TV cab.. Cream.....
I then tried a used black one, and it was even better, The tone was a little more refined in the neck pup, and the bridge pup was a little more gnarly.
Then tried an Epiphone sheraton, clearcoat. I actually like it much better. Played best of the 3 so far, and the tone acoustically was more pronounced and mid rangey. Then, when I told the salesman my thoughts on it, he showd me a NOS John Lee Hooker Sheraton. Brown burst, funky inlays, etc. I loved this guitar. Had 9's on it and the best mid honk of 'em all..Snappy and dark. Nice neck too. I may go back and snatch it. The price was $490, and I'll bet I can get him down....
I played it through the JTM, but then switched to a new blonde Twin Reverb, and it really sounded great...
thanks, I'll post later if/when I get it.
ax. 8)

sounds like a sweet axe. I believe the Sheratons are maple necks as opposed to mahogany. That would explain the tonal differences. Lemme know how you do....

RB

Traded my RG520QS for the Sheraton.. 2 humbucker model in the brownburst... I took the one hanging on the wall at a discount because it felt better than the new in box one...
Plays great, snaps and growls well.. Really surprisingly good fit and finish, can't find a flaw anywhere...All electrinics work well, and the pups are acceptible, for now.. I think I may put a 57 in the bridge, and a P90 in the neck for a little more attack...Eventually...
I do really like the bridge on the Epiphones though... Nice smooth cast slot for string passage.. Has good weight to the guitar, and is balanced well.3 piece maple neck which are separated by strips of mahogany (or bubinga) which adds to the snap, and it has a nice full handed feel. Not really big like a '59, but fairly chubby........Grover tuners are nice as well....The next change will be a bone nut....
Altogether, I think it is a great guitar at this price... I tried the Epi dot (335 copy) and just plain didn't like it....Cheap feeling to me.
I got an Ibanez case for $50, rather than $100 for the "E" logo case.. That, I felt, was a rip-off...
I'm happy with this guitar, and will get alot more use out of it than the RG, although that was a killer fiddle, just not my style anymore...
Thanks for the help in selection of a hollowbody Red Barchetta....
ax. 8)
Now, on to learn the rest of John Lee Hookers library... :D

You are welcome, Ax....I respect your views here greatly, and I'm glad I can be of assistance in your getting a new toy. I hope you enjoy your Sheraton as much as I enjoy my Yamaha.

One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer......

Rock on, brother Ax

RB

Latest posts

Back