My Foray into the World Outside of Marks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trem

Reaction score
In the midst of my smoking Mark IV episode I decided to take a stroll into several local music shops. Good experience to make me reflect on what a Mark IV really is.

Tried a Rectoverb in there, and spent about 30 minutes. Not sure whether it's a series 1 or 2. Not really surprising compared to what I've heard from other people's playing and what I've read in this forum. This thing sounds really angry, has lots of growl and grind, but poor sustain compared to the Marks (even with a Les Paul). There's a lot of chug, sometimes too much, to the point of becoming muddy and unclear. Major hats off to Ty Tabor or anyone else that can make Rectos sing. Makes me miss my Mark IV even more. I did only spend 30 minutes with it, so I'll keep my ears open if someday another would come my way.

Then I tried a Laney GH-100L. Bam, there's the British sound I have always been trying to coax out of R2. Has all the gain you would ever need without any boost whatsoever. No ear piercing treble like Marshalls here, but still nice cleans. The EQs actually work too :lol: . I guess you really can't make a Mark what it is not. :idea:

In order to get the recto's to sustain you need two things, lots of volume and a good booster pedal, but **** once you have that you will understand the crushing ability of a recto.

trem said:
In the midst of my smoking Mark IV episode I decided to take a stroll into several local music shops. Good experience to make me reflect on what a Mark IV really is.

Tried a Rectoverb in there, and spent about 30 minutes. Not sure whether it's a series 1 or 2. Not really surprising compared to what I've heard from other people's playing and what I've read in this forum. This thing sounds really angry, has lots of growl and grind, but poor sustain compared to the Marks (even with a Les Paul). There's a lot of chug, sometimes too much, to the point of becoming muddy and unclear. Major hats off to Ty Tabor or anyone else that can make Rectos sing. Makes me miss my Mark IV even more. I did only spend 30 minutes with it, so I'll keep my ears open if someday another would come my way.

Then I tried a Laney GH-100L. Bam, there's the British sound I have always been trying to coax out of R2. Has all the gain you would ever need without any boost whatsoever. No ear piercing treble like Marshalls here, but still nice cleans. The EQs actually work too :lol: . I guess you really can't make a Mark what it is not. :idea:

Latest posts

Back