My first mesa amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slanderous666

Reaction score
Hi im new to this board. I am planning on buying a new amp soon and I have it down to a new Express 2:25, used Rectoverb or maybe a peavey 6505 combo (havent looked into it much but I hear good things) or a marshall dsl401.

I play metal, classic rock, hard rock and some blues once in a while. I listen to hendrix, cream, metallica, black sabbath, machinehead and motorhead, etc. Im looking for some nice high gain but some quality of sound is very important for rock and cleans etc.

On a seperate note I'm trying to figure out the mesa boogie tube system. If I wanted to retube the Express lets say could I swap out the EL84's for EL34's?

Sorry its probably a stupid question but I'd love some more info on the express and Rectoverb as well as peoples opinions on the other amps and how they compare. Thanks in advance

Btw I forgot to mention I practice at home alot so this is also a factor. One of the reasons the express series and its 5 watt setting is so appealing.

5:25* sorry

The 5:25 will only take EL84s. EL34s are very different in size, shape, and sound. They won't fit into EL84 sockets but they fit into 6L6 and other sockets. But you won't want to go sticking them into 6L6 sockets unless your amp can switch between both (like a Lonestar Classic). But the 5:25 is a great amp. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

vatoben said:
The 5:25 will only take EL84s. EL34s are very different in size, shape, and sound. They won't fit into EL84 sockets but they fit into 6L6 and other sockets. But you won't want to go sticking them into 6L6 sockets unless your amp can switch between both (like a Lonestar Classic). But the 5:25 is a great amp. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Ah, makes sense. Thank you very much.

GIG4FUN said:
Welcome to the best boogie forum on earth.

I only have advice, no answers...

I am on the downsode of life... (50 ) I discovered Mesa lately. I should have discovered it earlier.

nuff said!

ah but we can truly appreciate it at this age.

Lou said:
GIG4FUN said:
Welcome to the best boogie forum on earth.

I only have advice, no answers...

I am on the downsode of life... (50 ) I discovered Mesa lately. I should have discovered it earlier.

nuff said!

ah but we can truly appreciate it at this age.

Downside of Life!
Hell, I'm 54 and just got myself a RKII with 4x12. The best thing about being this age, is that now you can afford all the toys................. :D

I own a rectoverb and get some great tones out of it, I've used it in rock band and metal band settings.

However you really gotta turn em up, 50w is a lot of juice. If you have the space and soundproofing at home to run it then go for it. I have a semi detached house and never ever play it at home.

I just bought my first Boogie a few months ago and I'll be 45 next month. It was to be my "midlife crisis amp" but it turned out to be so much more!

I compared the 5:25 and 5:50 (as well as a Lone Star Special, an F-50, a Marshall DSL401, a Fender Supersonic and a THD Univalve) when I bought my 5:50 1 x 12 combo.

I found the 5:25 1 x 10 to sound small and boxy compared to the 5:50 1 x 12. Of course, this is relative. It sounded great on it's own. The 5:25 1 x 12 wasn't available at that time.

The Express amps have wonderful master volume controls. Though they sound better when cranked up, they don't have to be cranked up to sound really good.

The 5 watt mode is a lot of fun, but still loud at home. I just used the 5 watt mode on channel 2, Burn last night with my band and it was more than loud enough, though the channel 1, clean is not really loud enough with the band in the 5 watt mode.
It's a completely different sound than the full on 25 or 50 watt mode.

I really love this amp. It takes me to different places than my classic Fender amps.

Oh, and the reverb is great! Better than my '66 Vibrolux Reverb or '68 Princeton Reverb! It'd actually be a better surf amp than them, if I seriously played surf!

At a little over 50 pounds, the 5:50 1 x 12 combo is just small enough for me to take to weekly jams and gigs (only non-paying bbqs for me).

I highly recommend the Express series amps for the styles of music that you mentioned. I play blues, rockabilly, jazz, r&b, reggae, country, early metal, etc... with mine.

Keep in mind that it's not a Marshall amp and doesn't really capture the sound of a cranked Marshall.

Don said:
I just bought my first Boogie a few months ago and I'll be 45 next month. It was to be my "midlife crisis amp" but it turned out to be so much more!

I compared the 5:25 and 5:50 (as well as a Lone Star Special, an F-50, a Marshall DSL401, a Fender Supersonic and a THD Univalve) when I bought my 5:50 1 x 12 combo.

I found the 5:25 1 x 10 to sound small and boxy compared to the 5:50 1 x 12. Of course, this is relative. It sounded great on it's own. The 5:25 1 x 12 wasn't available at that time.

The Express amps have wonderful master volume controls. Though they sound better when cranked up, they don't have to be cranked up to sound really good.

The 5 watt mode is a lot of fun, but still loud at home. I just used the 5 watt mode on channel 2, Burn last night with my band and it was more than loud enough, though the channel 1, clean is not really loud enough with the band in the 5 watt mode.
It's a completely different sound than the full on 25 or 50 watt mode.

I really love this amp. It takes me to different places than my classic Fender amps.

Oh, and the reverb is great! Better than my '66 Vibrolux Reverb or '68 Princeton Reverb! It'd actually be a better surf amp than them, if I seriously played surf!

At a little over 50 pounds, the 5:50 1 x 12 combo is just small enough for me to take to weekly jams and gigs (only non-paying bbqs for me).

I highly recommend the Express series amps for the styles of music that you mentioned. I play blues, rockabilly, jazz, r&b, reggae, country, early metal, etc... with mine.

Keep in mind that it's not a Marshall amp and doesn't really capture the sound of a cranked Marshall.

Ah Very helpful:D it seems like this amp is the way to go all though I really wish it had more gain on tap for metal. I'll definately try the rectoverb out if I get a chance but it will probably be the express if I can find a 1X12. Thanks to all who have posted so far and if anyone else has any morei nfo or opinions we'd love to here them.

Just bought a Stiletto Ace 50w combo and it has great cleans and a higher gain settings than the Express series plus you can get it to sound like a Marshall as well which is very helpful.

Love the stiletto series but a combo starts at around 1700 last time I checked. Just a bit over my price range unfortunately.

Slanderous666 said:
Hi im new to this board. I am planning on buying a new amp soon and I have it down to a new Express 2:25, used Rectoverb or maybe a peavey 6505 combo (havent looked into it much but I hear good things) or a marshall dsl401.

I play metal, classic rock, hard rock and some blues once in a while. I listen to hendrix, cream, metallica, black sabbath, machinehead and motorhead, etc. Im looking for some nice high gain but some quality of sound is very important for rock and cleans etc.

On a seperate note I'm trying to figure out the mesa boogie tube system. If I wanted to retube the Express lets say could I swap out the EL84's for EL34's?

Sorry its probably a stupid question but I'd love some more info on the express and Rectoverb as well as peoples opinions on the other amps and how they compare. Thanks in advance

I haven't played the Express, Rectoverb, or Peavey. I do have the DSL401 and have had it for several years. While it's a neat amp in some ways, I would suggest that it basically has a limited tonal range - tending toward a high-gain crunch with a higher-gain version for leads. Most would describe the amp as fizzy. The cleans on the DSL401 are just not great.

My understanding is that the DSL401 can be improved significantly via either a speaker swap or by adding a beam blocker to the current speaker. I have not done either.

Early versions of the DSL401 are apparently prone to overheat and self-destruct. More info is here:

http://www.historiclespauls.com/music/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=48

I have one of these versions but have not had any problems and have not made any mods. I don't set anything on top of the amp and am good about leaving clearance for airflow (seen too many video displays/TVs self-destruct from poor ventilation).

Don't get me wrong - this is a neat amp in many ways, and I am keeping mine. It makes my Strat sound fabulous. There are echoes of the sound that Blackmore gets with his modified Marshall Majors on the "Made in Japan" album. (One any classic rock/guitar fanatic should own, in my opinion.) But the lack of flexibility caused me to start investigating Mesa.

More info on the DSL401 can be found by Googling something like "Marshall DSL401 modification" or "Marshall DSL401 schematic". You can also search the Marshall amp forums, here:

http://www.marshallampforum.com/forum/

I now have a Lone Star Special and a Mark IV with Thiele cabinet. Quite different representatives of Mesa, each with their own features. The LSS has fabulous cleans - best ever. (You have got to hear a 12-string through it - an intense spectrum of sound.) It's also got great high gain - but the high gain is not quite as intense and out-of-control as available on either the DSL401 or the Mark IV. On the 5-watt setting, I can go from bedroom volumes to rehearsing with my band in the basement. 15 and 30 are there when I need more; I can mike it if we have to go beyond that. Every guitar I have sound distinctly different through the LSS; that just isn't true of the DSL401.

The Mk IV provides a lot more power, of course, and an infinite variety of options with the three channels and the graphic EQ. The channel switching is nicer than the LSS. The cleans are not quite as nice, but awfully good in their own right - just different, really. The R2 crunch is fine (though you'll hear others say it isn't; everyone has a different perspective). And the lead hi-gain is great. There are plenty of used Marks out there if you want one; no reason to pay inflated prices, just wait for the right deal. I got mine from eBay. (In any purchasing forum, one just needs to be careful and use alternate methods of checking out sellers - the net's a great tool if you use it properly.)

However, the Mark won't dial down (in power options) as far as the LSS or Express, so if you really need low bedroom levels, you might want to stick with those.

A great experiment with the Mark, though - plug it in, run up the Rhythm 1 gain, master, and output level - oh yeah, put some earplugs in first - this can be one nasty amp on just that channel alone.

I'm in the age group of some others on this thread. Just turned 50. But my first good amp (after some crap like a Vox Beatle run through a home-made A-7 cabinet) was a 50-watt Marshall head through a 1960A slant cab. Great sounding amp, but the way to get the classic rock tone of Blackmore and Page was simple and painful - put everything on 10. I have the tinnitus to prove it. I'm glad we have a lot more flexibility now.

Someone else answered the question about EL84 vs. EL34. More generally, if I remember correctly, the EL34, 6L6, 6V6, KT66, KT88, 6550, etc. are all similar power tube configurations but will all have different bias requirements (that is, the static voltage/current configurations set by the power supply and circuit network around the tube to put the tube into its optimal performance range). (The EL84 has a completely different pin configuration.) So you can't just swap them unless the amp provides switchable bias, or unless you have technical expertise either to reset the bias or modify the circuit to match.

Hope this helps; let me know if you have specific questions.

Dave

xarkon said:
Slanderous666 said:

I haven't played the Express, Rectoverb, or Peavey. I do have the DSL401 and have had it for several years. While it's a neat amp in some ways, I would suggest that it basically has a limited tonal range - tending toward a high-gain crunch with a higher-gain version for leads. Most would describe the amp as fizzy. The cleans on the DSL401 are just not great.

My understanding is that the DSL401 can be improved significantly via either a speaker swap or by adding a beam blocker to the current speaker. I have not done either.

Early versions of the DSL401 are apparently prone to overheat and self-destruct. More info is here:

http://www.historiclespauls.com/music/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=48

I have one of these versions but have not had any problems and have not made any mods. I don't set anything on top of the amp and am good about leaving clearance for airflow (seen too many video displays/TVs self-destruct from poor ventilation).

Don't get me wrong - this is a neat amp in many ways, and I am keeping mine. It makes my Strat sound fabulous. There are echoes of the sound that Blackmore gets with his modified Marshall Majors on the "Made in Japan" album. (One any classic rock/guitar fanatic should own, in my opinion.) But the lack of flexibility caused me to start investigating Mesa.

More info on the DSL401 can be found by Googling something like "Marshall DSL401 modification" or "Marshall DSL401 schematic". You can also search the Marshall amp forums, here:

http://www.marshallampforum.com/forum/

I now have a Lone Star Special and a Mark IV with Thiele cabinet. Quite different representatives of Mesa, each with their own features. The LSS has fabulous cleans - best ever. (You have got to hear a 12-string through it - an intense spectrum of sound.) It's also got great high gain - but the high gain is not quite as intense and out-of-control as available on either the DSL401 or the Mark IV. On the 5-watt setting, I can go from bedroom volumes to rehearsing with my band in the basement. 15 and 30 are there when I need more; I can mike it if we have to go beyond that. Every guitar I have sound distinctly different through the LSS; that just isn't true of the DSL401.

The Mk IV provides a lot more power, of course, and an infinite variety of options with the three channels and the graphic EQ. The channel switching is nicer than the LSS. The cleans are not quite as nice, but awfully good in their own right - just different, really. The R2 crunch is fine (though you'll hear others say it isn't; everyone has a different perspective). And the lead hi-gain is great. There are plenty of used Marks out there if you want one; no reason to pay inflated prices, just wait for the right deal. I got mine from eBay. (In any purchasing forum, one just needs to be careful and use alternate methods of checking out sellers - the net's a great tool if you use it properly.)

However, the Mark won't dial down (in power options) as far as the LSS or Express, so if you really need low bedroom levels, you might want to stick with those.

A great experiment with the Mark, though - plug it in, run up the Rhythm 1 gain, master, and output level - oh yeah, put some earplugs in first - this can be one nasty amp on just that channel alone.

I'm in the age group of some others on this thread. Just turned 50. But my first good amp (after some crap like a Vox Beatle run through a home-made A-7 cabinet) was a 50-watt Marshall head through a 1960A slant cab. Great sounding amp, but the way to get the classic rock tone of Blackmore and Page was simple and painful - put everything on 10. I have the tinnitus to prove it. I'm glad we have a lot more flexibility now.

Someone else answered the question about EL84 vs. EL34. More generally, if I remember correctly, the EL34, 6L6, 6V6, KT66, KT88, 6550, etc. are all similar power tube configurations but will all have different bias requirements (that is, the static voltage/current configurations set by the power supply and circuit network around the tube to put the tube into its optimal performance range). (The EL84 has a completely different pin configuration.) So you can't just swap them unless the amp provides switchable bias, or unless you have technical expertise either to reset the bias or modify the circuit to match.

Hope this helps; let me know if you have specific questions.

Dave

Awesome info! I went in and tried the dsl and the Express 5:25 out and honestly the dsl might have had something wrong with it because I could crank it to about half with full volume and got nothing very intense. The Mesa won and I am know the proud owner of a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 . Id love to find a way to get a higher gain sound though.

Congrats on the new amp!

Yes, the DSL probably did have something wrong - on OD1 it will scream and OD2 will howl. And it will get pretty loud; certainly not as loud as a halfstack, but loud enough. But hey, it doesn't matter, you have what you want - and that's great!

If you need more drive, don't be afraid to put another pedal in front that you can kick in for that extra bit. There's no law that says that every part of it has to be built into the amp. (Blackmore used an Aiwa tape deck in front of the input channel, which effectively functioned as an additional preamp stage.)

Enjoy the amp!

Dave

Thank you I will enjoy it! I'll go looking for a metal muff or something when I have some spare cash around. Anything to get some good metal sounds out of it.

try a boost or overdrive not a distortion in front. and , mess around with that contour knob. metal sound IMO is more about EQ than gain.

coppa said:
try a boost or overdrive not a distortion in front. and , mess around with that contour knob. metal sound IMO is more about EQ than gain.

I was looking at a metal muff with top boost but if an overdrive does metal better or a boost. A boost or an overdrive will do metal? I thought they were more for vintage sounds and hard rock? Any suggestions on stomp boxes? Also I want to have the metal sound at bedroom levels as well so can a boost and overdrive do the same metal tone at lower levels? Thank you and sorry for my silly questions, I usually stay away from anything but a wah pedal but the Express does everything except metal so well :D

Back