My First Mark V Clip!! (Obligatory Dream Theater Cover)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson5413

Reaction score
Let me first say...be gentle! This is the first clip I've recorded since December 08. I haven't played much guitar over the past 6 months with no amp. Definitely some sour notes in there. I decided to cover Only a Matter of Time by Dream Theater.

I decided to record this one with the IIC+. Settings were as follows (no boosts used):

Gain: 3 o'clock
Treble: 12 o'clock
Mids: 9 o'clock
Bass: 8 o'clock
Presence: 10 o'clock
Graphic EQ: slight V

Used my EBMM. I'm not super happy with the mic placement but I will get. I definitely need more time tweaking the amp. I am really happy with the lead tone I dialed in towards the end. So far, I like the amp a lot!! (Going forward I will post all of my clips in the appropriate area of the board).

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/50-OAMOT%20%28rough%29.mp3

Nice playing man! I think the Mark V absolutely eats what the JP6 pickups put out for breakfast, lunch, tea, and dinner :lol: My JP6 has never sounded better than when I plugged it into the Mark V and put it on the Mark IIC+ mode!!

Excellent execution, and tones. The lead tones towards the end were Petrucci, better that Petrucci!

Very nice man, other clips of the amp had me abit worried, but you,ve restored my faith that I made the right choice to hold out for this amp!...I,m among the last folks around here still waiting.

Your clip is killin mon, do the other modes now! :)

I have to pitch in here, and try not to hijack the thread because the talent and playing of Gibson5413 through the MKV he got today (or yesterday for some...it's 11:57 pm for me here) is what this thread is all about. Gibson, this was some of the best playing I've heard on "Only a matter of time."!!!

Shang Chi, I know you've been waiting for the Mark V for ages man, and I was worried too about how the MKV would sound based on the clips I've seen. I think Gibson mentioned a while ago that he was getting backing tracks ready for when the MKV came, and yup he delivered true to his word (kudos to you man!). We all know (or at least I'd like to think most of us do) that true tone is always in the fingers and not the amp or guitar or any other piece of equipment that we may own. I have days when I sound like crap playing through the same settings I saved when I thought I sounded great and that's because I am probably not feeling it in those days. There are amps out there that can make you sound good even when you're not feeling it......But the Mark V is not one of those. This amp screams honesty from its soul I swear. In the limited time I've had to play with it, it's driven me nuts, it's given me pleasure, and it's given me bliss based on how I'm feeling at the time. If you're not into what you're playing this amp will expose your weaknesses ruthlessly, and it will reward your playing from the heart with the best it can give you. I know you're still waiting for your amp and I think you'll love it man. It has all the tones you'll ever want. Just know that this amp is a fair judge of all playing and will sound sucky based ONLY on how you're feeling what you're playing.

I don't want to flame anybody here (and I will take all the flaming this will probably induce towards me) but noodling around with a bunch of scales on youtube is not a true measure of how an amp sounds. I would rather prefer a true audio recording of a song (like Gibson did) than someone showing off how they can play scales, and obviously the amp will sound awful in that scenario because where's the feel when someone's trying to show off rather than play???

Sorry for the rant, but it had to be said. Coming back to the spirit of this thread, I think most people will soon figure out what the MkV is all about..it's "Only a matter of time"

Peace my friends, and enjoy the wonderfully transparent amp the Mark V is, and the playing of Gibson5413 on his recording!

cheers,
Supreeth

That "This is Absolution" clip is what I have been waiting for...

Thank you so much. The first good song played with a killer tone on the MarkV that I have heard.

Well done. Keep them rolling. :D

Supreeth said:
I have to pitch in here, and try not to hijack the thread because the talent and playing of Gibson5413 through the MKV he got today (or yesterday for some...it's 11:57 pm for me here) is what this thread is all about. Gibson, this was some of the best playing I've heard on "Only a matter of time."!!!

Shang Chi, I know you've been waiting for the Mark V for ages man, and I was worried too about how the MKV would sound based on the clips I've seen. I think Gibson mentioned a while ago that he was getting backing tracks ready for when the MKV came, and yup he delivered true to his word (kudos to you man!). We all know (or at least I'd like to think most of us do) that true tone is always in the fingers and not the amp or guitar or any other piece of equipment that we may own. I have days when I sound like crap playing through the same settings I saved when I thought I sounded great and that's because I am probably not feeling it in those days. There are amps out there that can make you sound good even when you're not feeling it......But the Mark V is not one of those. This amp screams honesty from its soul I swear. In the limited time I've had to play with it, it's driven me nuts, it's given me pleasure, and it's given me bliss based on how I'm feeling at the time. If you're not into what you're playing this amp will expose your weaknesses ruthlessly, and it will reward your playing from the heart with the best it can give you. I know you're still waiting for your amp and I think you'll love it man. It has all the tones you'll ever want. Just know that this amp is a fair judge of all playing and will sound sucky based ONLY on how you're feeling what you're playing.

I don't want to flame anybody here (and I will take all the flaming this will probably induce towards me) but noodling around with a bunch of scales on youtube is not a true measure of how an amp sounds. I would rather prefer a true audio recording of a song (like Gibson did) than someone showing off how they can play scales, and obviously the amp will sound awful in that scenario because where's the feel when someone's trying to show off rather than play???

Sorry for the rant, but it had to be said. Coming back to the spirit of this thread, I think most people will soon figure out what the MkV is all about..it's "Only a matter of time"

Peace my friends, and enjoy the wonderfully transparent amp the Mark V is, and the playing of Gibson5413 on his recording!

cheers,
Supreeth

Those are great points, and a wonderful observation my friend. No "rant" at all man, I hear ya! Thanks!

I sold my VHT Sig X last year, and while I liked alot of what that amp have to offer, I just never completely jelled/connected with it. Plus, it was more a upper mid voiced, Marshall type tone (I brought it sight unseen), and I,m more of a low mids, darker tone type guy. While it was not as notoriously unforgiving as other amps in the Fryette line, it still was not a compressed, play along with you, "sound good even on your off days" kind of amp either.

So, it allowed me to really concentrate on my chops & dynamics. You played thru that amp, and you were,nt fooling anybody, trust me!

I,m not expecting the Mark 5 to be more or less, I just wanted to be assured it was capable of the fluid Mark series lead tones of the past. And Gibson,s clip(s) did a great job of proving that!

After that, I agree with ya 100%, it,s up to the player to utilize, work, and get the most out of any amp, to make the amp sing. The amp works, and the player, plays.

I think sometimes, a guitarist will expect a certain amp to make them sound more like their favorite player, or assist some deficiency in their technique. That,s certainly not what I,m after. Whatever I put in is what I want to (hear) get back. Like you said, an honest amp!

I,m no Petrucci or Di meola, but I,ve played afew sweet licks in my day, so I can,t wait to see how I fare on the Mark 5 myself!

You cats continue to enjoy your amps. One of good things of me still waiting is I can pick ya,ll,s brains for tips & such until I get mine! :)

Supreeth said:

cheers,
Supreeth

Those are great points, and a wonderful observation my friend. No "rant" at all man, I hear ya! Thanks!

I sold my VHT Sig X last year, and while I liked alot of what that amp have to offer, I just never completely jelled/connected with it. Plus, it was more a upper mid voiced, Marshall type tone (I brought it sight unseen), and I,m more of a low mids, darker tone type guy. While it was not as notoriously unforgiving as other amps in the Fryette line, it still was not a compressed, play along with you, "sound good even on your off days" kind of amp either.

So, it allowed me to really concentrate on my chops & dynamics. You played thru that amp, and you were,nt fooling anybody, trust me!

I,m not expecting the Mark 5 to be more or less, I just wanted to be assured it was capable of the fluid Mark series lead tones of the past. And Gibson,s clip(s) did a great job of proving that!

After that, I agree with ya 100%, it,s up to the player to utilize, work, and get the most out of any amp, to make the amp sing. The amp works, and the player, plays.

I think sometimes, a guitarist will expect a certain amp to make them sound more like their favorite player, or assist some deficiency in their technique. That,s certainly not what I,m after. Whatever I put in is what I want to (hear) get back. Like you said, an honest amp!

I,m no Petrucci or Di meola, but I,ve played afew sweet licks in my day, so I can,t wait to see how I fare on the Mark 5 myself!

You cats continue to enjoy your amps. One of good things of me still waiting is that I can pick ya,ll,s brains for tips & such until I get mine! :)

What kind of room do you record in?

Carpeted or floor boards?

Size of the room?

It's just that the tone on This is Absolution is what I'm going for. (except for the huge de-tuning ... I use dropped D)

Do you go direct from the mics into an m-box or other input device or do you run through a mixer/eq?

just a thought, I always like your sound clips, but I find this one to have the midi keyboard detractiing from it. Sometimes the guitar gets lost behind the midi. MIght i suggest putting that a little lower in the mix?

guitar sound awesome though (drums are good. but we dont really care about that now do we hhahahahha)

dmcguitar said:
just a thought, I always like your sound clips, but I find this one to have the midi keyboard detractiing from it. Sometimes the guitar gets lost behind the midi. MIght i suggest putting that a little lower in the mix?

guitar sound awesome though (drums are good. but we dont really care about that now do we hhahahahha)

I totally agree about the midi and that's coming from a guy who writes his guitar parts in the band in midi (imagine how the solos sound like haha)

But man that's a great job and you have hardly had the amp!!!! Congratulations!

The solo i would do it based on that tone which is great but a bit less rounded, with a bit more mm grit is that the word?

Well done man!

gibson5413 said:
I decided to record this one with the IIC+. Settings were as follows (no boosts used):

Gain: 3 o'clock
Treble: 12 o'clock
Mids: 9 o'clock
Bass: 8 o'clock
Presence: 10 o'clock
Graphic EQ: slight V

... I am really happy with the lead tone I dialed in towards the end.

i think that lead tone sounds awesome.

what settings was it with--the ones you listed, or something different? would you mind sharing what the exact settings for that lead tone were? thanks very much.

Latest posts

Back