My first day with the Mark V and I'm really underwhelmed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
udertyrat said:
I thought that channel 3 would be much louder, etc. than the channel 2 crunch mode.

ch 3 (esp extreme) is satanic loud in 90 watts, not sure what you're talking about. really depends on your volume and output settings obviously as well.

rabies said:
rabies said:
that being said, i'm still not sold on ch 2. it's better than a IV but even with EL34's I can't cop marshall tones really.

the amp is somewhat sterile to my ears.

i just ran ch 2 crunch 10 watts with gain and treble max'd out. sounded pretty **** good and marshally to my ears with my LP. efx loop in the mix and w/o EQ engaged.

the clean on this amp is amazing, better than any other amp i've owned. i recommend starting with the petrucci settings on all 3 channels and tweeking from there.

but even with the spongy and recto tube in 10 watts, the amp is still very tight. even my stiletto seems looser.

I would say to start with, you shouldn't try to get a Marshall sound with a Mesa. It's like asking a cat to bark like a dog. Not saying that you cannot try but if you are unhappy with the Mesa because it cannot produce Marshall tones, then you should just get a Marshall instead. I'm just saying what is obvious here, not trying to offend or step on you.

Anyway, I noticed that the 240Hz slider and the treble control knob are crucial for tone for Ch2. I used to have my 240Hz slider around half way and the amp sounded sterile and lifeless. One day I was experimenting by bumping the 240Hz slider up to the top line, 720Hz slider to just below the middle line,treble knob to around 2o'clock and the mid knob around noon and the amp came to life if you know what I mean. So I would say try those controls and if it's not the sound that you are looking for, try cranking each slider and see which frequency that you are actually looking for. Cheers.

After 2 1/2 years living with the Mark V I finally had to admit that I was more of a Marshall guy then I thought. I bought my first Marshall (JVM410H) and never looked back so I sold the Mesa. Depends on style of music and all I guess. As a bonus I now can switch channels and modes from my GT-10 without an RJM AmpGizmo. Simpler. I like that.

+2 on all the "This is a live stage amp"comments. My V shines not in my bedroom..(it's never been there) But live loud and on stage with 3 or 4 other crazed musicians..This is the Ferrari of amps..comes alive at 200....If you want a bedroom amp..get something else. Oh and PS I have not changed a tube from stock and My amp ROCKS....So don't waste your time...just turn it up..

boogieman60 said:
+2 on all the "This is a live stage amp"comments. My V shines not in my bedroom..(it's never been there) But live loud and on stage with 3 or 4 other crazed musicians..This is the Ferrari of amps..comes alive at 200....If you want a bedroom amp..get something else. Oh and PS I have not changed a tube from stock and My amp ROCKS....So don't waste your time...just turn it up..

agree.

Latest posts

Back