My First Boogie/Stones "Some Girls & Tattoo You" Sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbender75

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New to the board and I just ordered a Mark I reissue, Blonde Tolex, Black Shadow speaker, should get by the weekend! My first Boogie! Very excited!

Question: I don't have an Ampeg 8x10 cab to slave it to like Keef did, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a reference point to start to dial in that great sound from Keith's rhythm lines like on Black Limousine or Respectable.

I'm guessing Channel 2, no Channel 1, in 60W mode. Should I mismatch impedance and use the 8ohm channel in 60W mode for the crunch, or vice versa using 4ohm plug in 100W mode?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dont over think things.Mismatching the impedance in the output is going to be very subtle,tonewise.Its possible you wont even notice any difference right off.Read the owners manual,it will give you the best insight into how the controls work,and basic overdrive conditions.Telling you that certain settings "will make you sound like Kieth" is fruitless,in my experience.Tone is subjective,what sounds good to you may not be what sounds good to anyone else.Find what sounds good to you,and enjoy your amp.Like I said,the manual will give you the best guidelines to find a starting point,then take it from there.

Bbender75 said:
Hello everyone!

New to the board and I just ordered a Mark I reissue, Blonde Tolex, Black Shadow speaker, should get by the weekend! My first Boogie! Very excited!

Question: I don't have an Ampeg 8x10 cab to slave it to like Keef did, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a reference point to start to dial in that great sound from Keith's rhythm lines like on Black Limousine or Respectable.

I'm guessing Channel 2, no Channel 1, in 60W mode. Should I mismatch impedance and use the 8ohm channel in 60W mode for the crunch, or vice versa using 4ohm plug in 100W mode?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
won,t hurt Amp to mismatch ohms? i don,t know

8ohm to 4ohm mismatch in either direction wont hurt anything.

Bbender75:
as a reference point, use below settings. As you can see, he uses some very unique settings for bass and mids and balance them later with the graphic EQ.

- input 1
- vol 1: 5
- vol 2: 7
- master: 3.5
- treble: 6.5
- bass: 5.5
- middle: 0.5
- EQ in

80 Hz: 25% (half way between center line and all down)
240 Hz: 25%
750 Hz: 100% (all the way up)
2200 Hz: 50% (center line)
6600 Hz: 25%

Keith set the Boogie to 60 watt mode and plugged the 8 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm jack.

Best of luck!

Back