my ears aren't as sophisticated as some of you.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvschulz

Reaction score
i say this as i was rolling through the internet last night and ran across two videos demonstrating amps. one was a video of a comparison of a LoneStar, Stiletto Ace, and ElectraDyne. video 2 was a demo of the various modes of the Mark V from NAMM ...

as my sig describes - i play through either a Mark III (mostly) or a LSC. I play different tones and different guitars. Strat, LP Dlx, and 335 - and i will use the 335 for distorted rock sounds. i don't play metal. i would, but i am not in an urban environment where the population might appreciate it. clean through crunch and mid-distortion ... and i guess we could argue what that consists of.

here's my dilemma. 1st, i listened to video one and my LSC and Mark III sound mostly like the LS in the video - but also distort like the Ace and ED.

2nd ... i listened pretty closely to the Mark V demo for the "edge/burn" and IIC+/IV settings ... i have not bought anything in a while amp-wise ... and at this point don't feel the need to. My amps sound like those amps. I can believe the hype on the II -> IIC+ -> III ... really don't hear anything different OR better on the V or any of the others.

i would think that between speaker and tube combinations - the world is mine right where i sit now. that is not to discriminate or criticize anyone with a IIC+, IV, V, ED, Ace, Roadster etc ... i once lusted after 2 balanced channels on the III and after the R2 vol mod - that is accomplished.

just really wondering how many others have the same basic feeling about their rig - all the new stuff sounds about the same mostly.

I find internet clips pretty much useless. They are not accurate enough. Yeah, you can hear differences, but not reality IMO.

I agree that auditioning amps with internet clips can be a problem because they all do tend to sound similar. A lot of demos use the same full-bore-gain-on-11-settings and that really homogenizes tone.
I've been through a bazillion amps like everyone else, and I always come back to my trusty Mark III. I'm sure much has to do with familiarity and preference. Some amps just "feel" right all the way from your fingertips to the speaker; some just don't quite have "it", whatever "it" might be.
We are all so very lucky to live in a time where there are so many good choices for that "most excellent" tone.
Fer sure, man. :D

rvschulz said:
just really wondering how many others have the same basic feeling about their rig - all the new stuff sounds about the same mostly.

I will say that the video (LS/Ace/ED) is a nice comparison, but does not capture all the subtle differences of these amps when you are the one doing the playing. I have owned all three of these amps, and while there is some common ground, I prefer the ED for my tastes. It is voiced completely different than ANY Mark series amp that I have played or owned, which includes all of them except the Mark IIA. The Marks have a upper midrange emphasis that makes them have that singing lead voice. The ED has a lower midrange emphasis that makes it really thump when playing rhythm. Combine these two amps with an A/B/Y pedal, and the sound is HUGE. 8)

JOEY B. said:
rvschulz said:

I will say that the video (LS/Ace/ED) is a nice comparison, but does not capture all the subtle differences of these amps when you are the one doing the playing.
Exactly. It's the playability and feel of the amps that the internet clips can't capture. For me the feel is critical, and why I love my C+ and new Electra*Dyne (what a great amp!).

MrMarkIII said:
We are all so very lucky to live in a time where there are so many good choices for that "most excellent" tone.
Fer sure, man. :D
A big AMEN to that, brother!

All these forums and on line videos do help to fuel my lust for new amps. When I go in to play them I find something about all the new Mesas that I like and would certainly be happy with. I love playing with new toys. But, I'm happy with my DC amps and can get what I need from them. I've going through a bunch of amps partly looking for the right one but mostly just to play different amps for fun. I still want to own every cool amp out there but that is not an option for me. They do all sound and feel different in person and I could easily convince myself that I need a Mark V, Stiletto, LSC, ED and may as well through in the TA for good measure.

I think the videos are good for introducing you to a new amp and give you some idea of it's capabilities and they can start to sound alike or at least very similar. There is no substitution for sitting in front of one with a guitar in your hands. Then you notice the difference.

yes, i understand ... although i have a VERY NICE set of speakers and a nice sound card on my computer = obviously i missed something in the translation across the recording. i thought that a music company (Mesa dealer or Mesa) who would post such clips as promotional material would take the time to actually emphasize seemingly critical differences between amps. of course, the recordings don;t sound as good as the MP3s i listen to as i work - those were mastered in a real studio with engineering and such.

obviously, two things ... first, as i surmised, my ears aren;t quite as accurate or demanding or discerning as some of you. that's my problem that i am comfortable with. second - since i am happy with what i have, i am probably looking for that 'pot of gold' when i hear something new and sort of don't find it.

thanks for the info - i am always interested to hear what the fellow Boogiers have to say ! 8)

rvschulz said:
yes, i understand ... although i have a VERY NICE set of speakers and a nice sound card on my computer = obviously i missed something in the translation across the recording. i thought that a music company (Mesa dealer or Mesa) who would post such clips as promotional material would take the time to actually emphasize seemingly critical differences between amps. of course, the recordings don;t sound as good as the MP3s i listen to as i work - those were mastered in a real studio with engineering and such.

obviously, two things ... first, as i surmised, my ears aren;t quite as accurate or demanding or discerning as some of you. that's my problem that i am comfortable with. second - since i am happy with what i have, i am probably looking for that 'pot of gold' when i hear something new and sort of don't find it.

thanks for the info - i am always interested to hear what the fellow Boogiers have to say ! 8)
I've got a good sound card and Altec Lansing speakers on my computer. All that means nothing, as it does not capture the response to the pick attack that you experience while playing the guitar. I looked for that "pot of gold" in all the 3 channel Mark series amps, only to discover that I only needed the RC Booster in conjunction with my C+. It all comes down to what inspires you to play your best. When you find it, pick it up and run. 8)

rvschulz said:
2nd ... i listened pretty closely to the Mark V demo for the "edge/burn" and IIC+/IV settings ... i have not bought anything in a while amp-wise ... and at this point don't feel the need to. My amps sound like those amps. I can believe the hype on the II -> IIC+ -> III ... really don't hear anything different OR better on the V or any of the others.

To put things into perspective, your Mark III green stripe is basically a Mark IV with a shared EQ. All the Mark V does is seek to capture that Mark IV sound.... which is also the Mark III green stripe sound.

Long story short, when it comes to the lead channels there's nothing particularly ground breaking in the Mark V. It's just a continuation of what's already been done.

Beyond that, I agree with what the others have said about playing through an amp being the only way to really judge an amp's suitability for your application.

BB, it sounds KILLER though the vertical 2x12 ... metal grill with a c-90 & EVM. i just can't imagine needing a more aggressive tone. once again - it's to each his own and no complaints.

i'm happy. gts sounds happy. joey b is definitely happy. all is good.

Latest posts

Back