My dual rect in a Harry Kolbe 1x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganboySB

Reaction score
Last week was when I got my first mesa (dual rect)... couldn't exactly afford a cab yet :lol: So have been playing the head through my Budda's speakers. I'm still in the tweaking stage you know but anything that has to do with this Budda is under suspect. Guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not quite at tonal bliss yet and I need a new cab to hopefully get me there. I'm new to the whole speaker voicing technology, always thought a speaker was a speaker etc...and kinda believe the Budda speakers are not exactly proper for the dual. Anyways I recently learned how my main man Buckethead uses a 4x12 from a New York amp guru Harry Kolbe. He and I spoke and mentioned how his 4x12 he calls "The Concert" runs about $2000 and its like 800 watts... something like that. For my purpose of jamming out in this attic space he suggested his 1x12 and says it sounds as good as any 4x12 cab out there... you believe that? Here's what it looks like and I bought it today, just won't get it for a couple weeks I guess.
http://www.soundsmith.com/one12.htm
I've done this blind shopping before and am very susceptible to what I read on forums... hope it works out though :) I will keep you posted.
But, if someone can, elaborate on speaker voicings etc...
thanks,
Ken

Now, take his words and think about them. He said just as good. But are you going for tone, volume, moving air to compensate for lower volume all , part, most?

See, I've been reading about Harry for years and as far as I can tell he is "THE MAN" when it comes to making something good great and sound engineering for speakers and cabs.

I'd feel very confident that the 1x12 from HK will be great but not confident that it is what you are looking for. My best gues is that you will soon receive a spectacular cab that helps bring out the best your head has to offer. But each cab sounds different be it size, # of speakers, open, closed, ported, and all the combinations there of.

If tone is your quest, I think you'll be happy. But if you are a metal guy who wants that BIG sound and thump on lower power chords you'll have the tone but maybe not the feel of a 4x12.

What I'm mainly after strumminsix is tone that behaves with feedback. The good, cool feedback that fills gaps in your playing. Know what I mean? I hear my main man Buckethead with these different frequencies of feedback going on and just looove it... its beautiful. Now I'm not sure that getting this little 1x12 will get me there but least its from the same man that made Buckets cab and he's reputable. I've been trying to get it straightened out for a long time now and spent quite a bit of mooola...wish I knew, wish I knew. Any suggestions? :?
Ken

May I ask how much the cab set you back?

Personally, with a recto, I love how the 4x12 gives you that wall of sound, that punches you in the gut with every single note.

they have a couple of kolbe 1 12s at a local vintage guitar store here, tucked in a corner, always wondered what the hell they were

It cost me $650 for just the 1x12 cab... he said $2000 for his 4x12 cab which he calls "The Concert". Can't wait to get this thing sometime this week. As with that "punch" I get that with the 2x12's I'm using just not enough clarity. Who knows if it'll work out... I'm again taking my chances sight unseen on a product... but if Buckethead is using them then its okay with me (my reasoning) :p
Ken
But if this 1x12 sounds quite nice and my system behaves well with it then I"ll pick up another and that will be my home system.

UPDATE*
Recieved this Harry Kolbe 1x12 and it without a doubt blows me away. Wish I was prepared to show it off through a video for you. I ordered another one and this should complete my home rig. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with my gear.
Ken

Back