My DC5 doesn't seem to vary in tone.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMcTritone

Reaction score
I've had my DC5 for about a month, and I'm happy with it. I use the rhythm channel exclusively for the cleans.

When I turn up or down the treble, mid, or bass, there doesn't seem to be a wide variance. There's some, but not a lot, like my Fender Hot Rod Deville.

I don't know how old the tubes are. They're mesa tubes.

Any suggestions?

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

I don't know what you mean exactly by "not a lot" ...your Treb and Bass knobs should defininitely shape your tone considerably. And the Mid somewhat less, but does add more gain than mids past 4-5.

Edward

The very first thing that I was shocked at by my DC-5 was the amount of change in tone every slight adjustment to each knob made.

I mean even moving any knob up or down 1 increment makes a difference to the sound.

My amp took me a long long time to get used to because there is soooo much adjustment with the controls.

There is definately something up with your amp mate,the number one reason I bought my amp was because of the huge amount of variation in tone this amp has.

Playing at bedroom levels I find my amp has even more flexability of tone than playing at gig levels.

I would change the tubes as its not too costly and then you also will know what the amp should sound like newly tubed.My amp had become dark a while ago and a new set of tubes sorted it right out to the point where I dont think ANY amp could sound better overall both clean and dirty.

My DC-5 has more flexability of tone that I ever thought possible of any amp.

Try new tubes as its a good starting point.

I felt the same way coming from Marshall(and just about any other style) amps. I hear the difference now, but I still think it's subtle compared tp other amps I've played. I agree the difference is more significant @ volume.

I had the output at 2 1/2; master, and gain on 4 (loud bedroom volume). I'll try cranking it up at my next rehearsal.

I think you're right about the tubes. I actually pulled each tube (one at a time) and re-seated them and it did sound better. But now I hear a little more hiss than before. So I just ordered some Mesa tubes - might as well start fresh. I don't know how old the existing tubes are. For now, I'll stick with those and see what happens.

Thanks again for the comments.

Just a guess, but you probably have a real Treble knob now, don't cha? :)

Aren't tubes grand ...kind of like strings when they slowly go dead.

Edward

Latest posts

Back