My dc-3's very sick.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyc

Reaction score
OK, so I did a world class stupid thing in letting a band I'm very good friends with use my studio while I was out of town. So, they call me one night and ask if they can use my dc3 to lay some tracks down and I said sure, but explained to them the differences between it(tube) and my marshall avt(ss). I got off the phone and less than an hour later got a call back from the guys, apparently they couldn't get it to sound good mic'd so they decided to go DI with it. They had seen me use the AVT di'd all the time so they figured they'd do the same, so they went out from the recording jack straight into my pro tools rig. They explained that the amp started smelling funny and then lost volume. Of course I was confused, furious, depressed, etc...but waited to do anything until I got home. Well the amp will still fire up and I can jam on it but after a while it starts to smell and fade again. Anyway, all this long BS was to ask if anyone had a possible diagnosis or can recommend a good honest tech. I'm betting there's a fried transformer in there. Sorry about the crappy first post, Mesa rules!!!

If you have a local amp tech, get it checked there. Sounds like it might be an output transformer or tubes. I'm not an expert like some, but I'm pretty sure while running the amp without it hooked up to a cab, it could ruin the output tranny, and possibly some other things in the chain. Amp tech will know for sure.

-AJH

eltrain858 said:
my recommendation... get a rope

Well he's letting me keep his Randall RM100 loaded with blackface, plexi, and xtc modules, and I'm also a pretty laid back guy so I didn't freak out much after the first ten minutes. I'm thinking it might be the output transformer but I don't really know much about amps. Why does the amp work fine at first and then just all the sudden fade into nothing?

A Randall for a Boog :shock: :shock: :shock: Man, shoot the f**k then have his ole lady soothe your pain by working off the cost of the repair.
When will you guys learn?

Restless Rocks said:
A Randall for a Boog :shock: :shock: :shock: Man, shoot the f**k then have his ole lady soothe your pain by working off the cost of the repair.
When will you guys learn?

If it were just your run of the mill Randall I wouldn't have even let it in my studio but it's definately a cut above any other Randall I've ever heard. If the "module" series amps are good enough for Michael Wagener they're good enough for me.

Back