My amp is too loud!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintballnsk

Reaction score
My mesa DC10 is making my ears bleed.
How can i get the tube saturation and cut the volume in half?

Those are all rediculously expensive.

Try searching this guy on ebay and let me know what you think. Mine is already on its way.

omnisonic

Thanks,
Nick

Hey man I hope I don't burst your bubble but this guy is charging $18 for something that is already included on your amp. What am I talking about you ask? Your Master volume is the same thing that this guy is selling.

Actually, seeing as how your amp has a parallel effects loop it will not work as designed.

I hope you didn't waste your money on this..... *edit I see you already have.

Greg

If it decides not to work, he told me he would refund it. He looked over the schematics in the manual from the website and he said the ones for the marshalls will work fine for it. I'll let you guys know in a couple days when I get it.

Even with mesas master volume, between 1.1 and 1.3 is so sensative, I can't really crank the amp up for saturation where I want it to be. And the amp at 2.5 chan, 3 master, drowns out just about anything on the planet.

I guess we'll have to see. Those THD things are beyond expensive

Volume is a pain, i had the same problem. i like the weber better then the THD but I like yellow jackets even more. It's all a coprimise but the YJ worked best for me when i had a MKIV volume problem. You can pull two of the power tubes too but, you have to half your ohms. So if your running a 8 ohm cab and you pull two of the power tubes you run it at 4 ohms. a set of YJ's is around $100 uless you buy used. The new boogies have a 5 watt option (thank you!!!) Volume = tone it's always a struggle even 5 watts is loud and you got 100, yikes. good luck

paintballnsk said:
If it decides not to work, he told me he would refund it. He looked over the schematics in the manual from the website and he said the ones for the marshalls will work fine for it. I'll let you guys know in a couple days when I get it.

Even with mesas master volume, between 1.1 and 1.3 is so sensative, I can't really crank the amp up for saturation where I want it to be. And the amp at 2.5 chan, 3 master, drowns out just about anything on the planet.

I guess we'll have to see. Those THD things are beyond expensive

Those THD "things" have nothing to do with what you bought. They are totally different and demand a higher price because of it. You bought another volume knob like the one you already have on the amp.

If the Master volume is sensitive then you should run the channel volume lower to get a better balance by running the Master at a spot that is not so sensitive to small changes.

You can also try disconnecting one of the speakers to lower the overall volume.

Greg

chennie said:
if it is too loud, then you are too old !
:D

I am certainly too old but fortunately I've lost a little hearing over the years with my double stack Marshall setups, back in the 80's, so now it's quite tolerable. Too bad those around me don't have hearing damage as well.

MJ Slaughter said:
I am certainly too old but fortunately I've lost a little hearing over the years with my double stack Marshall setups, back in the 80's, so now it's quite tolerable. Too bad those around me don't have hearing damage as well.

Well, that's easy enough to fix. :lol:

to the OP: +1 on disassembled's suggestion re: running less speakers. Seriously, this is the key for volume.

That said, I don't know how quiet you expect to get. I have found that there's definitely a lower limit at which you might as well just score a Pod, or Guitar Rig 2, for a couple hundred bucks and play through headphones, and save the tube amp for rehearsals and shows. Or get a Rec Pre 8)

I haven't played a DC10, but I'm pretty sure 2.5 on channel volume and 3 on the master isn't really *that* loud by tube amp standards. At that volume I doubt you're getting power tube saturation, you're just getting a proper frequency response from the speakers.

no.. at about 3 and 3 it will play over the drums. My other guitarist's carvin v3 gets it's *** kicked at prob 4 and 4. It's really weird. The marhsall jcm is the same way. The mesa just drowns them out like they're toys.

And a third volume knob might be good anyway. I like cranking the master up to 7 and then balance the rest with the channel. And they are both very very sensative between 1.5 and 2. It goes from room volumes to "OMG".

Trust me, I love playing loud, but I need a good volume for recording quality, and overall stage mixing.

Like put a plexi glass sheld around the grill of my cab? I'd have to cut holes into it too or wouldnt it just tear itself apart?

jamme61 said:
Volume is a pain, i had the same problem. i like the weber better then the THD but I like yellow jackets even more. It's all a coprimise but the YJ worked best for me when i had a MKIV volume problem. You can pull two of the power tubes too but, you have to half your ohms. So if your running a 8 ohm cab and you pull two of the power tubes you run it at 4 ohms. a set of YJ's is around $100 uless you buy used. The new boogies have a 5 watt option (thank you!!!) Volume = tone it's always a struggle even 5 watts is loud and you got 100, yikes. good luck
I have a Mark IV and if I switch it to 30 watts only using the outside tubes you are saying the ohms switch to 4 or are you saying you have to pull the tubes out completely. I didn't think someone would make a amp like that which could cause that 8 ohm speaker to blow running 4 ohms in it. The reason I ask is I was thinking about buying a THD hot plate for my amp and you have to buy them with knowing what ohms you are running.
Thanks!
Jim

I would get a Power Soak like a THD treadplate or something that allows you to crank your amp to a good saturation and then reduce the volume that goes out. I would say to talk to Bob at eurotubes and see about getting some tubes that break up faster and at lower volumes so you don't have to crank it so loud. I run a Triple Recto head and that thing is ridiculously loud. On 4 it drowns out my rhythm guitarists marshall on 10. Kinda funny really. I've been thinking about getting a DC-10 head, hard to find though, I see a good bit of DC-5 heads out there.

Latest posts

Back