My 2nd Mesa Knockoff Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CudBucket

Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics of the cab I finished tonight. I still have to make small adjustment to the grill so it sits deeper in the front and two of the holes on the back cover need to be widened a smidge but it's otherwise done. It has Eminence speakers in it. A Swampt Thang and a Tonker. Plugging into the left jack gives you an 8ohm mono cab and plug into each jack gives you a 16ohm stereo cab.

second_cabinet_complete_RKII.JPG

second_cabinet_complete_front.JPG

second_cabinet_complete_rear.JPG

MesaENGR412 said:
That's awesome, you should get a Cab Mesa logo and stick on it, that'd look real! Great job!

-AJH

Actually, that would be incredibly lame since it's not really a Mesa cab. You should design your own logo and put YOUR name on these -- very beautiful cabinet work!

paleamberglow said:
excellent job, where did you get the tolex ? looks just like mesa's

Thanks. It is Mesa tolex. I got it from www.ampwares.com. But there are other places as well like www.tubesandmore.com or www.mojomusicalsupply.com.

I have another cab just like this that I built that I'm going to strip and re-tolex to match this one.

Ken in NC said:
Looks fab. Just curious if it sounds as good as it looks.

Me too. I haven't plugged it in yet! Tonight, I have to make a few last minute fit and finish adjustments and then I'll plug it in.

Dave

Looks real good, be sure to let us know how it sounds. If you get real bored you could build me a 4x12 cab with V-30's..lol..Looks awesome man!

Very nice! What was the investment in time and $$, not counting the speakers? If you don't mind me asking.

thanks for the link to the tolex!

I am considering stripping my vertical 2x12 recto cabinet and putting new tolex on it, because I bought it used and there are a lot of dings and scuffs on it. Is re-tolexing an easy job to do ? do you think it would be worth it?

-DM

Not including speakers, I figure I spent about $180 on materials per cab. Re-tolexing a cab or amp that needs it is definitely worth it because it restores the value if you do it right.

It's not hard to do but I wouldn't say it's easy. You have to layout your cuts and then be careful using contact cement because once the tolex goes down, it's going to stay.

You want to avoid using too much as well and wait long enough for it to dry before laying down the skin. Corners are the trickiest but with one or two practice corners first, you should be fine.

Dave

Looks great! I have been trying to wire my Mesa recto 2X12 to run like yours (plug into one jack for 8ohm mono or both for 16ohm stereo) but I haven't been successful. Would you mind posting some pics of the wiring and/or some schematics? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back