MXR 10 Band in Loop sounds like a tremolo??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt15f

Reaction score
Just picked up a MXR 10 band eq, and I must be doing something wrong.

I put it in the effects loop (rectoverb combo), and with any degree of wetness or if I turn the volume up over 0 on the pedal it changes the sound to like a nasty tremolo kind of thing. Changing the pedal to bypass eliminates the sound.

I tried the pedal out front and it does not produce this sound, but it has tons of noise.

Any ideas?

I can't comment on the problem in the loop. But, when I first used my MXR 10 band eq I got all kinds of squeal and noise when I ran it in front of the amp. Actually, it was in front the distortion pedal(s), etc. If you boost it too much you can get clipping going into the following pedals or MFX unit. The eq in this position acts like a "clean," frequency dependent preamp and can/will drive the following units into distortion if you are not careful with your levels. In general, I have found that best results are found with slight boosts where needed and more generous cuts as necessary.

Cheers.

I had to resort to this process with my MXR 10 band.....

First, eq to taste, and make note of the curve.

Then cut all sliders as much as possible while preserving the curve. For example, the highest slider now is at the 0 line. Everything else is cut to some degree.

Then set one of the input/output sliders at 0 and set the other remaining slider to taste for levels downstream. This gives me the tonal flavor I want, and the ability to control levels with much greater ease. The curve seems to sound the same to me whether I have the curve boosted or cut, so I use it in the cut profile.

Latest posts

Back