Multi effects or pedals with the mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SBG200 said:
Has anyone figured out a way to have a single foot controller handle both amp channel switching and effects units? I'm thinking something along the lines of a CAE rig but not for the thousands of dollars it costs. Looks like maybe this could possibly be done with some the voodoo lab units, or the G major, but am trying to see if anyone's actually doing it. My rig is currently dirt (and soon a compressor) out front; delay, mod, trem (line 6 M9), and volume pedal in the loop, and of course the giant Mark V footswitch. Would LOVE to streamline all this into a single if possible.

Voodoo Labs Switcher (for switching pedals in and out)
RJM Amp Gizmo (for controlling the amp's functions)
Voodoo Labs Ground Control (midi footcontroller)

Alternatively, you could look at something like the RJM-16... it's a switcher and control function switcher in one.

You could also look at getting a rack multi-effect so that you can combine your delay, modulation and trem into one unit that is midi controllable.

fredster said:
I'm using an AxeFX in the loop and out in front of the V. Sounds great!

With the 4CM Method?
Do you use onboard reverb or the Ave ?

Thanks

Roland

screamingdaisy said:
SBG200 said:
Has anyone figured out a way to have a single foot controller handle both amp channel switching and effects units? I'm thinking something along the lines of a CAE rig but not for the thousands of dollars it costs. Looks like maybe this could possibly be done with some the voodoo lab units, or the G major, but am trying to see if anyone's actually doing it. My rig is currently dirt (and soon a compressor) out front; delay, mod, trem (line 6 M9), and volume pedal in the loop, and of course the giant Mark V footswitch. Would LOVE to streamline all this into a single if possible.

Voodoo Labs Switcher (for switching pedals in and out)
RJM Amp Gizmo (for controlling the amp's functions)
Voodoo Labs Ground Control (midi footcontroller)

this. I'm looking into the MiniAmp Gizmo to get my MidiMate to switch both the Mark V and the AxeFX.

The mini amp gizmo will allow you to change channels on the Mark V when calling for midi changes from a floor controller. You can change your effect patches and amp channels at the same time. I happen to have a mini amp gizmo with the Mark V cable for sale in the classified listing here

JLBoogie said:
The mini amp gizmo will allow you to change channels on the Mark V when calling for midi changes from a floor controller. You can change your effect patches and amp channels at the same time. I happen to have a mini amp gizmo with the Mark V cable for sale in the classified listing here

Well played sir, pm'd and emailed. :)

What routing options have you tried? If you do the 4 Cable Method with the HD500 you have alot of options available to you. You can route some effects in front and some in the Mark V's loop. If for certain songs you want to use the modelled amps, just don't put an fx loop in the effects chain of the HD500. That will have you going straight from the HD 500 out to the fx return of the Mark V, which bypasses the Mark V pre amp section altogether, this is the best way to do it if you are using the models. This essentially gives you the 3 channels of the Mark V plus 16 more channels in the way of differently voiced amps (32 if you count the pre and full versions on the HD500 as separate entities). I will admit it took me a fair bit of trial and error before I got the HD500 to play nice with my Mark V but I love it now. I know it's sacrilege, but half the time I just plain run out of the HD500 to the fx return on the Mark V and just by pass the pre amp section altogether. It's just a faster setup and sounds great. If I'm feeling more industrious I will set it up using the above mentioned 4CM and I'll break out the mini amp gizmo so I can use the HD500 to switch channels etc. That's the beauty of having the set lists on the HD500 you can set up different set lists for different configurations. I used to own a Nova System, I prefer the M13 and the HD500. Don't get me wrong the Nova System does some things great, but there is no effects loop in it so you have to either have your time based effects in front of the amp, or the distortion and compression type effects in the loop, neither is ideal. I like the flexibility of being able to configure the effects in the order I want.

I'm currently using my Boss GT-6 with a 4-cable method, plus the 5th cable (MIDI) connected to Voodoo Labs Control Switcher (which is hooked up to MKV). Works pretty darn well, considering that GT-6 is not exactly a pro-level type device. I use mostly delay and chorus in the loop, compressor in the front (for clean channel only), and sometimes pitch-bending-pedal in the front. The coolest thing is the ability to have some patches routed one way, and others in another way (with regards to effects being before the preamp or after).

I'm still unsure if I can audibly tell whether there is any loss in tone quality with GT-6 combined with MKV, but then again, I only got the Mark V few months ago, and haven't really had a chance to fully experience it yet.

But considering the budget I'd need to get up to some higher quality gear to give MKV justice (whatever that means), this is far more realistic for me.

Latest posts

Back