Motorboating on a Tremoverb HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirdss

Reaction score
Hi...

My Tremoverb has been motorboating in the Clean and Blues settings.

In other amps like old Fenders this useally means a cap job and it's when the caps are like 20 years old.

I just bought this amp and it didn't have this problem when I tried it out at the store. Someone did opened the amp to fix the reverb that was not working at the time.

Could this be a rectifier or power tube?

If anyone hes any experience the moterboating Tremoverbs PLEASE let me know what you have experienced.

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. No the tremolo is not active...

Take a look at the tube task chart in your owners manual and see what tube are for what channel. I have had plenty of preamp tubes go Mercury outbard on me. It'sprobably just a preamp tube. You can try replacing them 1 at a time with a new tube to see of the problem goes away.

By motorboating do you mean the sound is coming in and out??

I had a 1995 Tremoberb head that started sounding like the Tremolo was on one night on the clean channel, and it wasn't. I swapped tubes (power and preamp) and it still went in and out until it was out more than in. I took my amp to a local Boogie repair guy and he found the problem...... it was a LDR (light detecting relay, or something like that) that was used for channel switching and it was going out. He fixed it and it only cost about $40 for the labor and $3 for the new LDR. The amp worked fine after that, but I learned to ASWAYS bring a back up amp now on matter what amp I have!!

I later found out from Trace at Voodoo amps that this is a common issue with early Tremoverbs (that's why they no longer mod them), so I called Boogie and they said it was a known issue and that there is an upgrade that they recommend all Tremoverb owners getting that cost between $235 and $350 and they replace all the LDR's in the amp and a few other things and I also heard they put brand new tubes in the amp (not sure about the new tube part though).

I bet that's what is going on with your amp .

I don't get it....why does Boogie charge $235 and $350 to fix a known problem that cost you $40 to repair with a local tech? I am assuming they replace more than just the one failed LDR, but still it seems expensive and it is kind of their fault in the first place.
I had a Tverb for a little over a year and never had a problem with it although all these LDR stories made me worry about it reliability.

I guess the instability issue didn't become known until after a few years, and none of those amp are under warranty anymore. I kind of think it's not too cool to say "oh, we made a mistake..... but we'll fix it for $300".

From what I understand they fix more than just one LDR and I think upgrade a few caps, replace several LDR's and some resistors as well (and possibly put new tubes in), they basically give the amp it's 100,000 mile over-haul to make sure it last another 100,000 + miles.

I guess for some people, they don't ever have a problem and for some they do. The early Road Kings had a similar problem and since most were under warranty when they discovered this problem they sent out a recall and offer the upgraded components for free.

Kind of shotty, but in a way I understand from a business stand point and after 10 years of use, they can't fix our problems along with theirs.... It'd be nice if they did, but we'd end up paying $2500 for Dual Rectifiers and $3500 for Road Kings.

Latest posts

Back