more questions on speakers with mark series

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Tone

Reaction score
any of you guys ever use celestion vintage 30 or gt-65 speakers with a mark series amp? I was thinking about using one of these in a new setup. Going to convert my mark III head to a 1x12 combo. I usually use it on el34's (it's a simul) I figure at 60 watts for the v30 or 65 for the gt65 it would match up and sound great. I do not think I am to keen to go for the ev12's although many like it.

ramalam said:
I am not familiar with a GT-65. Do you mean Celestion G12-65?

That is the one I just wrote it wrong, the reissued the old 65, at an overpriced rate, I must say.

Those are great speakers. You can get them on eBay from a vendor that sells them for $180.00. They are worth every penny but are rated for 65 watts so you need to match it with the right amp or use multiples.

any amp sounds good with a g12-65.
i've put them in a metal grill halfback before, and they sounded great.
i have one now in my blue angel combo.

ramalam said:
Those are great speakers. You can get them on eBay from a vendor that sells them for $180.00. They are worth every penny but are rated for 65 watts so you need to match it with the right amp or use multiples.

I have seen them for that much online as well. I do not mean to say they don't sound good, it just bugs me that I had lots of them for low/standard price, no more than any other celestion.

King Tone said:
ramalam said:

I have seen them for that much online as well. I do not mean to say they don't sound good, it just bugs me that I had lots of them for low/standard price, no more than any other celestion.

They only made the originals for 4, possibly 5 years and they have be rediscovered. It is like a lot of other old equipment that is suddenly in demand and brings a lot more money. I have seen the originals go for as much as $155.00. Also, this is a "Heritage" reproduction and all of that series are expensive. Whether it is because of more expensive parts or just because they can, I don't know. All I know is that, for me and apparently a lot of others, they are worth the price. I prefer them to $300.00 Celestion Blues. But that's just me.

ramalam said:
King Tone said:
ramalam said:

They only made the originals for 4, possibly 5 years and they have be rediscovered. It is like a lot of other old equipment that is suddenly in demand and brings a lot more money. I have seen the originals go for as much as $155.00. Also, this is a "Heritage" reproduction and all of that series are expensive. Whether it is because of more expensive parts or just because they can, I don't know. All I know is that, for me and apparently a lot of others, they are worth the price. I prefer them to $300.00 Celestion Blues. But that's just me.

It is true...all of the speakers in the heritage series are higher than the regular series. I remember liking the 65's back when I had them in the 80's. I guess you have to make that circle.

Heritage speakers are Made in England.
Regular speakers are Made in People's Republic of China.

Also FWIW all Mesa OEM speakers are basically heritage speakers because they're still built in Ipswitch, England, UK.

The Heritage line are reproductions of speakers that were once made, then discontinued and are now, (supposedly at least) re-manufactured to the original specs. Most reviews I have read indicate that they have done a good job. Some say they like them even better but that could be because they are comparing them to semi-blown out versions of these roughly 25 year old and in some cases much older speakers.

So what speakers have you guys tried and liked with your Mark III's besides G12-65's. I was thinking about an eminence wizard. Any input would be appreciated!!!

I didn't really like my 65 4x12 w/ the mark2c+..great w/ marshalls though.
I am on the brink w/ V30s..I seem to teeter back and forth on whether or not I like them.

I had a set of G12-65's in a 70's Hiwatt 4 X 12" cab paired Boogies and liked them that way but sold it in favor of 2, 4 X 10" Marshall cabs. I also have a detuned cab with a Rola Celestion G12-65 that I like a lot with the C+ Simul Class. I have had Rola Celestions in a MK III red stripe Simul and in a Studio .22+ but not in the C+ yet.

ramalam said:
I had a set of G12-65's in a 70's Hiwatt 4 X 12" cab paired Boogies and liked them that way but sold it in favor of 2, 4 X 10" Marshall cabs. I also have a detuned cab with a Rola Celestion G12-65 that I like a lot with the C+ Simul Class. I have had Rola Celestions in a MK III red stripe Simul and in a Studio .22+ but not in the C+ yet.

Then I guess you like the 65's!

Stonge said:
I didn't really like my 65 4x12 w/ the mark2c+..great w/ marshalls though.
I am on the brink w/ V30s..I seem to teeter back and forth on whether or not I like them.

So are you saying you like v30's better than the 65's?(with boogie amps)

King Tone said:
ramalam said:

Then I guess you like the 65's!

You guess correctly sir. My favorite of all the Celestions I have tried, including 30s not that those aren't good too. Of course, "Individual results may vary".

Latest posts

Back