More metal bands using the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
In addition to DT and LoG, Cannibal Corpse and Between the Buried and Me are using Mark V's on the road now I guess
http://mesaboogie.com/news/2010/05/mesa-artist-endorsee-springsummer-2010-touring/#more-86

Cannibal Corpse
Pat O’Brien – Triple Rectifier, 4×12 Recto Straight cabs
Rob Barrett – Triple Rectifier, Mark V, 4×12 Recto Straight cabs

Between the Buried and Me
Dustie Waring – Roadster Head
Paul Waggoner – Mark V Head

Cool to see more bands using this awesome amp! And people say the Mark V doesn't have enough gain... :lol:

spawnofthesith said:
In addition to DT and LoG, Cannibal Corpse and Between the Buried and Me are using Mark V's on the road now I guess
http://mesaboogie.com/news/2010/05/mesa-artist-endorsee-springsummer-2010-touring/#more-86

Cannibal Corpse
Pat O’Brien – Triple Rectifier, 4×12 Recto Straight cabs
Rob Barrett – Triple Rectifier, Mark V, 4×12 Recto Straight cabs

Between the Buried and Me
Dustie Waring – Roadster Head
Paul Waggoner – Mark V Head

Cool to see more bands using this awesome amp! And people say the Mark V doesn't have enough gain... :lol:

Who said that?!?

It seems to be a common internet myth that the Mark's don't have enough gain for metal :lol:

It has me scratching my head too.

BTBAM recorded the great misdirect with the mark v and live and i gotta say thats great tone there. But CC man i wanna hear that live hahahahahah.

pathos45 said:
BTBAM recorded the great misdirect with the mark v and live and i gotta say thats great tone there. But CC man i wanna hear that live hahahahahah.

Oh really? I did not know that. I saw BTBAM earlier this year, but the amps were off behind the band banners. I just assumed it was his racktifier setup. No wonder Waggoner sounded so good!

spawnofthesith said:
pathos45 said:

Oh really? I did not know that. I saw BTBAM earlier this year, but the amps were off behind the band banners. I just assumed it was his racktifier setup. No wonder Waggoner sounded so good!

yeah i got to talk to them for a bit they are rad dudes and are in love with the mark v's hahahahaha.

screamingdaisy said:
spawnofthesith said:
And people say the Mark V doesn't have enough gain... :lol:

That's because people equate gain with mush.

The JMP-1 has lots of gain (and mush). The Mark IV I had had lots of gain and maintained tonal integrity (I could still hear individual notes in a jazz chord, distorted).

It did sound thin at times but that's what the EQ is for...

rabies said:
screamingdaisy said:
spawnofthesith said:
And people say the Mark V doesn't have enough gain... :lol:

That's because people equate gain with mush.

The JMP-1 has lots of gain (and mush). The Mark IV I had had lots of gain and maintained tonal integrity (I could still hear individual notes in a jazz chord, distorted).

It did sound thin at times but that's what the EQ is for...

That's kind of what I'm getting at.

A lot of metal guitarists want mush. They want that big, compressed chugging tone when they palm mute. They don't care if you can hear the individual notes as there's only two notes that matter (root/5th), and they want them to swell and sound as huge as possible.

As an example, the Rectifier has that big, loose, compressed palm mute that kind of blooms as it sustains. The Mark IV on the otherhand is so tight it's like getting hit with a sledge hammer. It's instant, with no bloom and over with quickly (by comparison). Great for fast, tight riffing or precise and stinging single notes. Not so great if you want that modern, over the top and sludgy Dual Rectifier kind of sound.

That's kind of what I'm getting at.

A lot of metal guitarists want mush. They want that big, compressed chugging tone when they palm mute. They don't care if you can hear the individual notes as there's only two notes that matter (root/5th), and they want them to swell and sound as huge as possible.

As an example, the Rectifier has that big, loose, compressed palm mute that kind of blooms as it sustains. The Mark IV on the otherhand is so tight it's like getting hit with a sledge hammer. It's instant, with no bloom and over with quickly (by comparison). Great for fast, tight riffing or precise and stinging single notes. Not so great if you want that modern, over the top and sludgy Dual Rectifier kind of sound.[/quote]

such a perfect example of the mark series amps hahahahaha

To me, sounding "heavy" just doesn't mean more gain. While the rectos may have more gain, something about the Mark series just sounds more sinister to my ears. I wouldn't argue if I had to play a Recto, I'd have one of those too if I could afford it.

But, for my ears and style, the V is where it's at for metal.

The Mark IV and esp. Mark III (green) were very loud and intimidating. I'd prefer 4xEL34 but the Mark V is expensive compared to my cheap (used) and kick *** Rivera S120...

screamingdaisy said:
The word I'd use to describe my Mark V is 'pissed-off'.

Haha, I agree. Whenever we have band practice on Thursday, my anger from a long day at work combined with the anger of the amp, makes for some great tones!

see i got the opposite from the V (granted it was in the store and it wasn't running a 4x12) but it seemed..."polite" to me compared to the roadster. Maybe it was just the lack of cranking it.

I'm one of those metal-guitarists that actually cares about tone and hearing individual notes in a distorted arpeggio...and the Mark V owns!..I couldn't have been happier.

The attack in the mark V / Mark IV mode (bright on+Mesa V shape eq ) is so immediate and so kerrang....it makes me want to headbutt landmines after practicing for 10 minutes !

Back