More issues with LSS Ch 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarvet

Reaction score
I have Lone Star Special that I have done just about all I can think of doing to get Ch 2 to sound the way that I want. I do play in a band and 3 weeks ago I nearly sold it, but the clean channel is just too good. I play a Les Paul Special with Seymour Duncan pick ups. Currently, Ch 2 is passable with the mids up and the bass down, but only on the bridge pick up. The middle position is muddy (almost like the speaker is breaking up, but even at low volumes) and the bridge is unusable for the same reason, only much worse. Anyone else had this problem with a Paul or other humbucker? Any solutions? I currently have several high quality pedals, but I keep reading about some of you who have "found" Ch 2's sound. Oh- one last thing- my band plays 80's and 90's music (nothing heavier than Green Day), we mic everything (low stage volume) and yes, I have already put in JJ's tubes. Thanks in advance for the help.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=24596&highlight=#24596

My current channel 2 settings:

Drive - 10:30
Gain - 2:00
Treble - 1:30
Mid - 10:30
Bass - 9:30
Presence - 11:30

15 watt, thickest

I actually pulled your settings from an earlier post and have used them. Do they work on a neck pickup for you?

I Tried timmerel's settings from his post, and it sounds like crap. Very muddy. I don't have a compressor, though. Does it make that much difference. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a defective amp or guitar.

If it's THAT muddy, maybe there is a problem.

I don't have a specific answer, but with Drive activated, you open a whole new world in terms of the interplay between the Drive level, the gain level, the channel master volume, and the output (overall amp volume). I use to just keep the drive off on channel 2 and adjust the level of dirt I wanted with the gain control- it was a little simpler. Now, I use both and although it adds a level of complexity, it also opens a lot of windows.

Perhaps try "retreating" for a while- no pedal, Drive not activated and then slowly tweak until you find what you're looking for.

I called Mesa and the guy I spoke with said he has only ever been able to use the bridge pickup with the Lone Star line. I guess I'm stuck trying to make the bridge p/u sound richer and thicker...

Bummer - did you try the last settings I settled on? Maybe its the combination of active Seymour Duncans and the piezo, although just the magnetic pickups sound amazing too. The compressor in the loop (just bog standard POD XT compressor) really seems to help - more sustain without grit. The guitar has SD Jazz in the neck and JB in the bridge - any combination seems to work for me with this setup.

Best of luck.

Back