Modified MK iib Loop Test Please read and advise..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanjo

Reaction score
I have just purchased a very clean mk iib in black tolex. The original owner bought the amp new in 81' or 82' from a store where it had been sitting for approx 1 year. The serial # is upper 9xxx. This amp was returned to Boogie soon after it was purchased after a conversion between the owner and Mike B. Mike basically told the owner to send the amp in (since it was an older new amp) and he would put the latest upgrades on it. The amp was returned after being modified with Mike B initials and the + above the power chord. It has the pull knob on the bass but the face plate still has the regular iib marking above the bass knob. It also has the markings of a iib above the master 1, lead and lead master knobs (it does not have the 'pull deep'). I found the 'loop test' on this website and on the 'Boogie files' webpage.

Here is where i'm confused:

The 'Boogie files' page says that if turning the lead knob ONLY does not effect the sound, the amp passes the test.

The Boogie Board loop test states that if BOTH the Lead or Gain knobs do not affect the sound, the amp passes the test.

Whats the correct test?!

PLEASE ADVISE ME HERE! Do I have a iib modified to a iic+ ?

The correct test is to plug your cable into the FX Return. Engage the Lead channel. Turn only the LEAD DRIVE knob back and forth, and listen for a change in sound. If there is a change, you have a IIC or a modded IIB. If not, it is an upgraded IIC+.

OK, Turning the lead drive knob while the lead channel is engaged does nothing to the signal. Serial Number is 9900. It appears to be a iib modded to a iic+ (i hope). A guy named Marcus at Boogie suggested i open the thing up and take closeup pics of the board and email them to him so that Mike B can look at them for 100% proof positive. I feel pretty good about it at this point. It may in fact actually be one of the 20 or so modded iib's. It's extremely clean too. Very little dust.

Latest posts

Back